This was my very first post and I received 15 helpful responses
within 24 hours.  What an amazing supportive community.  Thank you
everyone.

Here is a summary of the many suggestions:

- For Mac, use iWeb, very easy to use
Try iWeb which comes with iLife 08 (only $79).
It's very simple to make a website - just type and drag and drop.
There are templates for a welcome page, Blog, photos, movies, you can
add widgets, Google Adsense, etc.
You will also need a iMac account or you can upload to your personal
address.
iLife 08 also comes with iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, & Garageband - great
for projects.
Leopard OSX is out within 4 days - might be a good time to upgrade
your Mac getting the new OS and iLife for free!

- FrontPag. You can get a free 30 day trial of FrontPage.

-Investigate Dreamweaver and  GoLive for this purpose.

-NVU is multi-platform and open source (free!).  It's not too hard to
use.

-My recommendation, find a simple one that allows you to use imbedded
HTML, so that you don't have to learn it.  I prefer ones that allow
me to create in a word doc and then paste it into the webpage
program.  There are several that does this.
THE FIRST thing to do, contact your TECH dept.  You may be locked
into a set program.   If you are not, then FirstClass is an easy one
to use.

-With web 2.0, a website is obsolete these days. I would make a site
for the library using a wiki or a blog. This way, each teacher could
add the content that is relevant to them, so that the site is not
only user friendly, but is also updated on a regular basis. Nothing
is worse than looking at a website that has outdated material because
no one had time to update it. I created one for my school library
during my practicum using wikispaces.

-I'd recommend KompoZer (http://www.kompozer.net/), which is a very
nice freeware
program available in Win, Mac, and Linux formats. It is based on
another freeware
program which was based on the venerable Netscape Composer.  I've
found it to be
pretty easy to use; it's what I turn to when my usual hand-coding
fails me.

-Netscape Composer.  I believe you can download it free, but
you have to get an archived copy of one of the older versions of
Netscape
that has the composer piece to it.  Also you could use Nvu, which is
also a
free download.  If you want to spend money, Dreamweaver is very good,
but
hard to use if you haven't used anything similar before and it can be
expensive.  You might try one of the online template based web
developers.
Some I think are free to teachers, but I can't think of any of their
names.
Perhaps, another LM_Netter will come through with those.

-I don't know if this would satisfy the requirements for a web page
but you might want to make a blog.  These are very easy to do.  I use
blogger.com.  You can see my blog at: http://csslibraryblog.blogspot.com

-Using iWeb is great, but you might also want to look at TeacherWeb
http://www.teacherweb.com  For $27 per year for a single subscription
you can do all sorts of things and don't have to have access to your
own server so you can update it from anywhere. We have several
teachers who are using it.

-I originally created my website using Word - save the file as a web
page.  It was easy because I didn't need to learn a new software
program - and it is very flexible.  It was difficult because it
really didn't look very nice - everything skewed left a little - and
getting it uploaded to the internet was difficult.
My principal made me switch to Teacher Web - $27 per year cost.  It's
format is limiting - but they do have a library template.  It takes
little new knowledge. Changes to the internet are immediate.

I finally decided to try Nvu, because it is free.  The learning curve
is steep for the neophyte but manageable.

All the best,

Helga