Hello all:

Here is the hit.  Be warned - it is long, but chock full of good things!

Just a thought..what about talking to someone in a local Human resources position,
not necessarily a school, but maybe in the business area.  See if they might have
some suggestions.
You didn't mention if you are currently employed, ..what about finding a position
in an area outside education, either full or part-time..and then trying to get back
into education at a later time, when you'll be able to have some good feedback from
employers..
Or... try volunteering in a Media Center/Library or even in a classroom or getting
on the sub list...in a school in the area, where you'd like to work.. so that the
administration would get to know you..and would be able to make their own
evaluation of you...
Is relocation a possibility...there are some areas that are desperate for
librarians.
Talk to some of the profs that you had while working on your degree..see if they
would do recommendations for you..or if they have suggestions..
When filling out applications and submitting names for references, make sure that
those that you give truly like you and will stress your strong points,
 Do you explain the problems that you had in the past when you interview?
Depending on the situation, this might be a plus..if you were able to grow or do
some positive things, or a minus..
 I know that in may application forms there is a spot where you can check as to
whether or not you want your past employers contacted...I believe that if you check
no..the prospective employer should not check with your past employers.
 Is going back to school and picking up an extra certification a posibility?

Remember, you only need that one offer.  It's very discouraging.  In an interview,
you might try to head off poor comments by saying what you've learned, discussing
bad fit but not your faults or theirs.  Hang in there.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing. Here are some
suggestions:1. Contact your graduate school's alumni office. They might be able to
help you develop strategies to answer questions concerning the situations you were
in. Also, you might qualify to receive help from the college job placement office.
2. Check your references. See if you can find out what they are saying about you.
You might have to find new ones.3. Volunteer in a school or public library for
awhile. They might be able to help you develop skills that will assist you while
job hunting.I hope these ideas help. I'm sure that other people on the list will
give you additional advice.

I would try being very upfront about your mistakes.  Let the interviewers know that
the jobs weren’t a good fit and why this one is a better fit.  In many areas if you
sub, you have a much better chance of getting in.  Sorry you are having so much
trouble.  ( part deleted so as to protect the innocent!) You might have to wait a
while, but if you can stand to put up with the subbing try to work at a few schools
where you can get to know the administrator so you can get a good reference.

One suggestion I would make is this. You mentioned your "newbie mistakes." You
obviously did things you would handle differently from where you are now. (Don't we
all?) Before your next interview, I would think about some of those things and,
during the interview, tell the person that you now know how you would handle
things, and be specific. Then, when the interviewer talks to your previous places
and hears about your "bad things" he will know that you have grown and would handle
things better in the position you are interviewing for.On a personal note. In my
previous place of employment, it became apparent that I wasn't going to be rehired
after three years, so I resigned. It was my first attempt at a "real job", so I
made lots of newbie mistakes, plus there was a bunch of junk going on that I just
happened to be the fall guy for. If I were to go to that district from where I am
as a professional now, with everything else the same, I would not have been asked
to leave. I learned a lot, some of which I didn't need to know. However, I am a
better employee here than I would have been without my own small district fishbowl
experience. Good luck to you. A better job is out there. It just isn't time for it
yet. I know how hard the waiting is.

Are you addressing your past experience during the interview in the way thatyou
just presented it to the list serv? You want to get ahead of suchinformation and
the way you phrased it here shows what you've learned andhow you've grown since
then, which some employer will like. I would alsomake sure that the references you
provide are really stellar and can speakto the good work you'll do.

(Again personal info left out to protect the innocent)… So what can you do?  Well,
sub this year.  ALWAYS be positive.  LET schools that you like, know that you are
interested in working.  AND DONT limit to the library. GET you foot in the door. Be
you. Be the most positive you that you can be.   Also, VOLUNTEER on the days that
you do not work.  BE VISIBLE.   Write positive articles for the local paper.  Take
extra classes that will help you with reading. You are early in your career.  You
will be able to survive this.  Now, figure out how to survive this year. Smile,
breathe. Chin up.  You will get to practice being the BEST you can be without a
classroom/library.

I'm sorry about the job situation.  It is unfortunate that some (even many)
administrators claim to want innovative library programs, but then restrict
librarians by their schedules, and blame them for the lack of innovation.  It
sounds very discouraging, but please try to stay positive; perhaps those jobs that
you didn't get were not the best match for you, either.  During interviews,
consider tactfully mentioning the difficulty in running the kind of program you
wanted to run due to the very full schedule and travel between 2 schools, but
without sounding bitter.  Tough sell, I know!  Maybe something like, "I tried an
open library during my lunch and planning periods because that was the only time I
was unscheduled, but it was not successful because teachers would not permit their
students to leave their classrooms individually, as all 33 classes had 40-minute
weekly library time already."
 I don't know where you are located, but I would suggest getting on the substitute
list of as many area schools as you can, including large districts.  My school has
hired several classroom teachers who had subbed a lot for the various teachers in
the school .  Obviously, librarian positions are not as plentiful, but good
recommendations from subbing, even in a regular classroom, can help in that regard.
 Make sure that you mention to administrators that you are certified as a
librarian, because you never know when someone will talk to someone else about a
need, and your name may pop up!
 Try to network with librarians in your area, even perhaps occasionally
volunteering in one close to your home on days you don't work as a sub, especially
if you can showcase your strengths!  Anytime you sub at a school, find out the name
of the librarian, and stop in to meet him or her.  Mention that you are certified,
and offer your name and phone number or employer ID number, whatever they might
need to request you as a substitute.  (You could print very cheap business cards
yourself or purchase them online.)  Offer to learn about how to run the circulation
system, or any other particular programs, before subbing for them.  Offer to shelve
books for them if you have the time!
 Find out, if you can, who does the sub assignments, and be pro-active with them.
In my district, it's a district-wide phone-in system where subs schedule themselves
(they call in to "pick up" jobs; I'm not sure how that works exactly) but the VP
and secretary at my school can also request a particular sub in advance.  However,
they don't always do it in time to get the sub I have asked for.  Once I was out
for 8 days that I knew about in advance, gave them a list of certified subs to try
to get, and I got a certified sub for only the very last 2 days, so she tried to
"clean up" after the first 6 subs.  Yes, a different sub each day except for the
last 2!
 I don't know if this is something you would be willing to do, but perhaps if you
talked to the people who are not hiring you to find out specifically why they
didn't choose you, and what you could perhaps improve in order to get hired another
time.  It might be that the comments from previous schools are so unfairly
scathing, that you should not give permission to contact previous employers.  Offer
other references instead, perhaps the mentor who recognized some self-blame?  Was
there a particular interviewer who seemed most helpful and positive?  Perhaps he or
she would be willing to meet with you to discuss this.  Contact your university
department of Career Development.  They might offer help as well.
 Try to stay positive, I know it's hard. Good luck!

I am sorry that you have had such a tough go of it. Have faith and keep trying.
Perhaps volunteer somewhere and try a totally different job. I believe that no
matter what job we do, we can learn from it and then apply the skills to other
better jobs. After I got my teaching degree there weren't any jobs. I ended up
teaching piano for quite a few years and starting a family and then one day, the
timing was right to teach again. I had to be a teacher on call for many years until
another teacher-librarian encouraged me to consider getting training in this area.
It's been a lot of work, but I love it. So give yourself time. Learn from your
mistakes and pick yourself up and keep going.

My sympathy is with you . . . Can you substitute teach, maybe build up a list of
references who've seen you at your best? Can you volunteer at the public library to
build up good references?

If you build any good relationships with teachers in write you her school I would
ask them to them to write you letters of recommendation.In the interview address
your poor letters of recommendation. Tell them what you have learned from the
process. Acknowledge that you have made some mistakes, explain the circumstances
just as you have done to the list.An alternative would be to take a
paraprofessional, public library position, or an academic library and build a good
work history. Be prepared to move if you must. Just don't give up. You are still
young and there is a job for you out there. One thing you must do is build some
positive recommendations that involve working with children. If you have to take a
job to pay the bills and volunteer at a public library children's department doing
programming, or a hospital in the children's area. Or a children's museum.

Don't put your 2 previous jobs on your application...pretend you're a newhire.

Honestly, given your descriptions here I say - change careers (for now), change
locations, or just be a substitute teacher (with waiting tables on the side) to
develop the chance for employers to get to know what you can offer.  I have
discovered that finding good employees is very hard.  Employers, more than anything
else, want a dependable (shows up every day), competent (does the job without
watching over), and happy person working for them.
 It seems as though you have a bad rap to overcome.  If you are in an area that
really pays attention to word-of-mouth, then you will need to prove yourself
otherwise.  That is not easy to do and it takes time.
 My advice is sincere.  I re-read your words and I can tell you feel so defeated
and frustrated.  However, I also believe that if you develop a happy, can-do spirit
to show your desire to pursue your career you will overcome this bad rap.  Did you
get a fair deal?  No, but life just isn't fair.  You can overcome this derailed
experience.  (Part left out to protect the innocent)
 Keep at it.  Decide what is really important to you and keep trying to get a game
plan working.  You will succeed, and in the end you might be a happier librarian
than you ever would have imagined.
 I'll think of you out there seeking a fulfilling career.  You will make it, but it
sounds like a long, hard road.  Please know you are not alone.

I don't know if this will help you but I think the next time you have an interview
you need to be blunt and tell them just what you told us. You were in two extremely
difficult situations and you dealt with them the best that you could. You have
learned and matured from both situations.
 When I applied for my second job I was asked why do you want this job. I said, I
have always wanted to be a librarian. I am excited about what I can do with your
students. AND I am getting married in a few weeks and I HAVE TO FIND A JOB.
The guy felt bad for me and hired me.
 Don't be afraid to play all those cards.

Here's my advice:You didn't say what your mistakes were. If they involved any type
of inappropriate conduct with students, or unethical behavior or unlawful behavior
(such as theft), change professions as you will never get hired in a school.If your
mistakes were milder, try this--address the issue directly in your interviews: "I
made mistakes in my past jobs and learned from them...."--get related experience in
public libraries etc to bolster your resume, making you too good to bypass--get job
experience (and thus great references) in other field until you get hired--resolve
that no matter how poor you feel your" match" is, you will improve your work
relationships and give your best effort--soul search to be sure this is the field
for you. Someone with whom I am very close could never work my job because that
person is too independent and doesn't take direction well, takes it all as personal
affront. Rightly, this person is self-employed.We all make mistakes.Good luck

Do you have a letter of recommendation from your "mentor"? If not, and it'sstill
possible, try and get one. Also, try and find out exactly what isbeing said. You
may have legal recourse if the schools are preventing youfrom getting jobs. If your
first school didn't fire you they can not say that you were told toquit. If they
don't have documentation and you have been told that they arepreventing you from
getting a new job you may have a legal case. It may beworth it to talk to a labor
lawyer. If nothing else the lawyer can writethe school a letter which may
neutralize their behavior AND if you have aletter from your mentor this would help
smooth future interviews. One more piece of advice......If you can do it, even if
it means flippingburgers at night, volunteer in a school library. You may be able
to locatea private school (Catholic, Methodist, etc.) that doesn't actually have
alibrarian. Approach them and explain that while you are job searching youwould
like to donate your time to 1. Help the students and school and 2.Improve your
skills. This advantage of being in a school that doesn't haveany librarian is that
no matter what you do you are wonderful. Since youare a volunteer you don't have a
long-term commitment. You could parlaythat into a glowing recommendation when you

Not sure if this is good advice or not-you might want to acknowledge your mistakes
up front and tell the interviewers what you have learned from these experiences. I
have learned that good programming really comes second to working with people and
scoping outthe priorities of the administration and the teachers that are already
there. I guess you have also learned that it is not good to stir any pot until
after you have tenure. I have seen bad teachers kept on and good teachers let go
because of politics and schools are very political places.
 I would also make sure that I learned the priorities of administrators during the
interview process and show them how I could meet those priorities as opposed to
showing all of my good programming ideas. In the beginning of a job, it doesn't
matter if you see eye to eye with administration-you have to do what they say,
"kiss the ring" and plant seeds for your own ideas along the way.
 Again, I am not sure if acknowledging my mistakes up front is the very best of
ideas but from what you have described, it may turn out helpful.
 Good luck and let us know,

How discouraging! I also have a lousy job, notquite inner city but almost and have
interviewed forother jobs, getting close but no cigar. Who are you putting as your
references? Where Iinterviewed they wanted 3 letters of reference - Ionly used ONE
school person and that was a teacher,someone like your mentor. I certainly didn't
list theprincipal. Then I used a colleague and a librarianfrom within the district
whom I had met at variousmeetings. She knew how tough the job was and onlysaid good
things.So you could put a spin on things that way, instead ofallowing anyone else
to say how you handled horribleconditions. It's also good to put positive spins
onthings and say how well you handled everything and howmuch you're looking forward
to putting your manyskills to use for the new position.You are still young enough
that perhaps leaving offthe first job? Asking one of your graduate professorsto be
a reference?I'm full of positive advice but most days I have toadmit that I wish I
could think of something else I'mqualified to do!!Good luck to us all, I say.

Have you considered teaching overseas? There are many wonderfulinternational
schools out there that follow a US curriculum, use Englishas the instructional
language, etc etc. Also, according to a very goodfriend and current superintendent
of a school in Paraguay, qualifiedlibrarians are among the top five most difficult
positions to fill-- alongwith upper level science, math, and I don't know what
else. I have alsohad this verified by my current director-- who has also worked in
Manila,Bolivia, and Egypt. Librarians are rare and very much in demand.I have
taught in Qatar, Belgium, Korea, and now Venezuela and I know allof those schools
would have welcomed a knowledgeable, energetic, qualifiedLMS (I am currently
working on my LMS degree; I have been an Englishteacher these past 14
years).Benefits and job descriptions vary from school to school (think of theseas
private schools located in different countries where an American wouldbe desired
for whatever reason-- I am here in Venezuela because of the USoil companies'
presence) but I think in general an overseas job wouldscore higher no matter what
the criteria.If you want to know more, check out iss.edu Now is the time to
register for the hiring fairs and to start emailingheads of schools. If you are
married with a teaching spouse, that is allthe better. If she does not teach, it
can be a little more limiting interms of where you will be able to go, but still
not a big problem forhighly qualified professionals, which you say you are.

I can understand why you are discouraged.  Are you free to change location?  That
might be your best bet for starting out new.
 Do you have a masters' degree?  If not, consider getting one to increase your
options.

Could you register as a substitute for librarians in your area?  I would not
consider subbing for regular classroom...what you need is some positive experience
in a library position.
 How about volunteer work?  I spent almost an entire year doing volunteer work at a
nearby high school when technology was just coming in and I needed the skills they
could teach me.  I've never regretted it.  I made friends in admin. that were in a
position to help me later when I was applying for positions.Whatever you decide to
do, I wish you good luck.  Somewhere there's the right place for you.  Be patient
and you'll find it.

Other employers are only allowed to say when you were hired and when youleft. It is
against the law for them to say anything else!I would however, use what you have
learned in these two situations toyour advantage, when interviewing, bring up the
fact that you had twosituations that were not well suited for you. Tell how you
have grownfrom these situations, what you learned, and how you see
thingsdifferently because of the problems you had previously. Tell it all ina
positive light. Think about every question you have been asked in thepast 12
interviews. Make sure you were able to answer each questionpositively.Staying on
the positive side of these situations will help in followinginterviews, as well as
bringing up the problems as issues you now knowhow to handle, and discovering if
you may be facing the same issues inthis new position.Keep your chin up, I know
others have said that as well. You will findyour dream job and truly enjoy it, or
keep trying! Don't forget thatthere are venders, publishers, etc. who are always
looking for someonefrom the trenches to help them with their companies, something
to thinkabout.

Off the top of my head:  are you dealing with those ill-fit situations in your
interview?, are you making sure that the situations you are interviewing for are
better fits?  are you only trying for library or would you consider classroom
teaching for a year or two (particularly in a district where you might soon move
into library spot) to give you classroom experience that might help your resume,
might you find another mentor near you  that was more interested in helping or
perhaps find one via email even that could help, have you thought about subbing to
help you build relationships with folks in districts?

What kind of "newbie mistakes" did you make? It seems to me that if you are great
at interviewing, you should capitalize on that. Come up with a way to deflect the
negative comments from your past while you are in the interview. Let them hear your
side first. What did you learn from your first two jobs that you can turn into an
example of experience that you have learned from? Good luck.

If you live in Schenectady County have you considered applying for job at the
public library in the Children's Room?  Have you considered subbing and getting
into a school system that way?  Have you considered that it isn't that the "two
jobs weren't good matches" but that you actually might have to change some things
about how you deal with teachers - students - parents, if you want to stay a school
librarian.  It is tough to be turned down - but it doesn't sound as if you are
taking any responsibility for what didn't work out.  If it comes out in your
writing that you blame others, it's coming out in your interviews and then when
they talk to the other schools you haven't shown the new school that you will be
different in their district.  This link has some great ideas (it's to a book) that
I'm working on myself http://knowledge.emory.edu/index.cfm?fa=viewArticle&id=1074

Jaclyn Adler
SLMS in search of a job
Upstate NY