Greetings,

I have a little stumper today and need some help.? This question is from an
undergraduate teacher education student working on an 8th grade science unit on
gems.?

Here is part of her email to me:
I am focusing my science center on gems and minerals at the 8th grade level.? As
part of the materials in?my science center, I need to include fiction literature
that is at the appropriate reading level.? I am having a difficult time finding 8th
grade fiction books that somehow relate to gems or minerals.

I've looked in our catalog and the public library catalog a little bit, but the
only things I'm coming up with are historical fiction related to gold mining or
adventure stories about treasure hunts.? When I sent those to her, she said that
wasn't quite it and she was ready to settle on a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew story
about gems.

So, two questions:? Any good ideas on junior high fiction about gems?? or Any one
have a big collection of Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew and can suggest a few where
gem(s) are featured in the story?

Thanks for your help, I'll post a hit of the 'gems' I receive.? I hope you can help
me show what a resource the library can be.

Donna

Donna Nix
Charles J. Keffer Library
University of St. Thomas