My frustration is growing over this seemingly inconsequential problem, and
I'd like to nip it in the bud early but don't know how without appearing
shrew-ish.  This is only the 2nd full year of having a library in our
relatively new charter school.  The kids love it, and many are starting to
visit regularly during recesses, which I welcomed.at first. (kind of "be
careful what you wish for).  Now, the crowds are getting larger, especially
with very needy 1st and 2nd graders.   The students used to come in, grab a
book and read quietly, now they're coming in droves, and trying to use the
OPAC for fun. They stack up books and type in the titles just to play.  At
first I was ok with that when it was just a couple of students,  but now
more and more are coming in.just to "play" on the computers.  The older kids
are fine, they understand how to use the OPAC, and most can locate library
materials on their own.  It's the younger students I don't quite know what
to do with.

Any suggestions on what to do, how to encourage them to come in and read,
finish homework etc. but not treat the opac like play time?  Recesses
constitute 2 hours of my work day, so I'm sure you all can understand how
this is affecting my "productivity."

Thanks.

Katie Anderson, Librarian

Multicultural Learning Center