Thank you to all those colleagues that helped. Here's the HIT many requested...

-I've got Highsmith vinyl diecut ones, 1.5" x 4". #15748. They come 1000 on a roll.
I've used these for several years now, and if I get them on smoothly they last a
long time.

-I use heavy packing tape. It works great and is way cheaper than spine label
covers.

-I use regular book tape.  Works great!

-I can highly recommend DEMCOŽ Ultra-aggressive Glossy Label Protectors. The cost
is not very different at all, but the quality is beyond compare.

-I don't like any of the label protectors for use on the spine. I prefer Scotch
Book Tape, Transparent (#845). It comes in rolls of 540 inches and various widths.
We use a lot of the 2" and 3" widths, so our district stocks up at the warehouse
and the price is considerably less than the going retail rate. Use whatever
width will give you at least a 3/8" overlap onto the front and back covers, and be
sure to press it into the crevices betweent the spine and the covers. If you don't
like the thickness of the transparent book tape, he J-Lar tape works well in
repeated flexing situations. I use it when changing spine labels on books that have
mylar-covered dust jackets, and when repairing page tears near the spine on the
inside of the book. If you use it on cloth surfaces, you will need a much greater
length to provide adhesion. The local community college uses the kind of label
cover that is ironed on.

-I use just plain clear packing tape.  cost effective some comes off after 8-10
year but how long should we be keeping books

-I use Vistaflex laminate tape from DEMCO. It works just fine.

I hope this HIT helped! Have a great day.

Carolina Cuello
Elementary/Middle School Library
Lincoln American International School in Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tel: (54-11) 4794-9400 (ext. 144)
cuello_c@lincoln.edu.ar