Channel One put in the new digital headend this week, and I'm impressed! The old
system had a huge, heavy box and assorted smaller boxes because we are a
Neilson-monitored site. The new box is about 1/3 the size and weight of the old
one, and everything is internal, with the exception of the vcr that we supply to
make tapes for the Channel One Connection that teachers request.

Prior to the new system, if a teacher requested a C1C show the day it aired, or if
we weren't in school the day before, or if I forgot, the teacher was out of luck.
Now, EVERY C1C show is recorded and kept on the hard drive for 30 days. I can make
the tape anytime within 30 days of the time the show aired. That alone is going to
make my life much easier.

Even though this may sound like a commercial for Channel One, it really isn't. I
understand that I'm one of the earlier schools to get the new equipment, and I
wanted the rest of you to know that it is definitely worth waiting for.

Oh yes, the network connection? Not needed. From the time they sent out the letter
announcing the switch to digital to the time they actually started installing the
equipment they upgraded things. I think everything now runs via the dish antenna
outside.

David Lininger, kb0zke,
MS/HS Librarian