Hello:

I'm new at this, and have NO IDEA what I am doing, so please bear with me.  I am
the teacher librarian at a JK-8 elementary school in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Our population is about 450.  I spend most of my time in the library, although at
times I am teaching music.  About 60% of my time is directly spent on
library-related activities.  I do book exchange, information literacy skills, work
with full classes, small groups and individuals, and work as much as I can with
other staff.

Currently, my Board of Education, although it does recognise the importance of
literacy, does not fully support full-time programming or staffing in elementary
schools.  They are instead promoting and funding (they might get money from the
Ministry of Education for this) Literacy Improvement Project teachers.  Every
school, beginning this year, has a half-time literacy teacher.  We are also
creating Bookrooms that house guided reading, shared and read-aloud books for
teachers to borrow.

Now, maybe I'm out of the loop, but it seems to me that if the Board and the
Ministry funded and supported full-time programmes and staff in every library in
every school in the Hamilton-Wentworth District, we might just achieve the results
they are hoping for.  There is so much research that has drawn a positive
connection between fully supported libraries and a rise in test scores, it's not
funny.  We have standardised testing in Ontario at Grades 3, 6, 9 and 10.  What are
the experiences of
others out there?  Thanks for listening.  Deanna

Deanna MacKinnon
Teacher Librarian
Huntington Park School
80 Kingslea Drive