Hello. I've just been asked by our district to talk to the public
library across the street from our high school. The library has called
about the half hour or hour after school when a large number of our
students go over there and mess around in the parking lot and in the
library. The library wants to know how we can work together to get the
students to actually use the library resources instead of
smoking/skateboarding/chasing each other around in the parking lot.
Or...what they can do with the 5 people who come inside the library with
1 other person who actually needs a book or to use the computer.

Some basic info: We're a small urban school, and most of our students
walk or get picked up - there are no school buses. The library requires
a library card for computer use and has a one-hour limit, so the
computers fill up quickly. Our school runs a tutoring program and the
school library is also open during this time.

Any ideas on what we and/or the public library can do? Thanks.

Liz Runnels
Librarian
Newport High School
900 East 6th Street