From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Sharon Slaney
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 10:48 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] VENT: "There is no talking in the library"

Each teacher has a different teaching style.  When a teacher comes to
our library they bring their style with them, and we respect that.  When
a class is in the library, it is the teacher's rules that they follow.
Some of our teachers want total silence - that is fine.  Other teachers
allow talking.  I prefer to allow the teachers to set their rules for
the library.  Students know that they can talk when they come to the
library on a pass, without a teacher.  I think you should respect the
teacher's style.  Silence is sometimes appropriate in the library - and
sometimes talking is appropriate.  Teaching students to recognize what
is appropriate, and adapting to that, is what is more important.

Sharon Slaney, Librarian
Timberlake H.S. Library
5973 W. Hwy 54
P.O. Box 909
Spirit Lake, Id. 83869
208-623-6303
sslaney@lakeland272.org

  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book. To
change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the
message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL