I agree that  the degree of noise you allow in your library should be dictated by
your students' needs and how/why the library is being used.  I think that, in many
cases, high school students have enough places to socialize, and they may really be
in need of a safe, quiet place to study for a test, work on research, catch up on
their homework, read, etc.  My rule is that they can whisper, and I usually
demonstrate the difference between a low voice and a whisper--which usually is good
for a chuckle--but it's a good way to show them that when they're whispering only
those directly beside them should be able to hear what they say instead of talking
in a low voice which can still carry over to the next tables and disturb students
trying to study for a test.  We remind them in a nice way, and students are really
good to respect the needs of other people.

When there's only one class in the library, and they are all involved in looking
for books to check out, it gets noisier, but that's okay--no one is being kept from
studying or working.

Vicki
nelsonvl@ector-county.k12.tx.us

Vicki Nelson