This is really fascinating. My first response was that of course I read in the
library. What do I read? Almost every new picture book as it comes in. Mail time is
usually after 3:30. When I am prepping a class, I may reread a picture book to see
if I still want to read it aloud. When classes have a quiet reading I may pick up
what I was reading.  When I weed, I read. I read bits and pieces of new non-fiction
and sort for what teacher may want it for curriculum after processing or if need
right away before processing. I read through School Library Journal and Library
Sparks and The Horn book and Knowledge Quest while I am waiting for classes to come
in and settle. If I get to school early and have only a few pages or chapter to go,
I open the library, put on a pot of hot water for tea and finish the book so I
don't have to carry it home and can pass it on. Big fiction and non-fiction have to
wait for the commute, fortunately, unfortunately, I have an hour subway ride each
way. I know this will probably get me in trouble but I have been known to come in
on a Saturday to catch up on my picture book reading. I say hi to whoever is
around, say I'm not here and hide in my office with the piles.  I try not to drag
piles of picture books home. Too heavy.

And yes our reading is may be misunderstood and I often get "it must be nice..."
from those who don't understand what I do and I often invite interested parties to
shadow me for a day. They get over their envy pretty quickly and leave with an
armload of books for their own reading. Of course I do think I have the best job in
the school and don't blame them if they think so too. I do offer information on how
to achieve their own MLIS.

Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian