 I am a high school  science teacher pursuing a masters degree as a LMS, I have
always used the library for information not always available in the textbook.
Science is a process of finding information - where else but the media center.
Especially, if the library is where the school's computers are found.  My students
constantly need the use of audio equipment for sites with glossaries,  simulations
and/or short audio explanations that come with their textbook's online resources.
Therefore I find the responses to my original target question interesting and
helpful.  Find them listed below:
Rebecca Gore
Astronomy/Oceanography Teacher-Orange County High School, Orange, Va.
Longwood University Graduate Student: LMS
bgore@ocss-va.org
1. Titlewave has earbuds for less than $1.00 each that are intended foruse with
Playaways but of course, can be used with anything. Theyalso sell earbud covers
very cheap. You might look at those.
2. My vote: Make them each bring their own. Staph, lice, unclean hair - the
problems are obvious.
3. I've not seen any need for audio in the library, so I've not had to deal with
that issue. I just got my first Playaway, and I'm not going to circulate the
earbuds that came with it. Students will be expected to provide their own. If
someone absolutely needed to use headphones on a library computer they would also
be expected to provide their own.
4. We just bought the cheapest we could fine in Brodart or similar. Most kids have
their own if they are worried about germs.
5. So I have 28 headphones in case a whole class needs them. We got the ugly, large
plastic ones as used in elementary school.
6. students rarely need them as we only allow audio or video as part of an
assignment.
7. Our IT department ordered a bunch of $3 headphones that we use. Since I teach
classes, I only have kids take the headphones when needed and thenmake sure they
are put back (with the cord wrapped) when done. While theyaren't the most
comfortable for the kids to wear, it has been economical wayto handle the noise
issue for me.
8. Actually our students rarely need them as we only allow audio or video as part
of an assignment. This is to conserve bandwidth and to preserve our sanity. We have
55 computers--28 in an adjoining library lab. So I have 28 headphones in case a
whole class needs them. We got the ugly, large plastic ones as used in elementary
school. Less chance any high school student would want them. We keep a couple at
the circ desk if someone in main library needs one. Ours came with large phone
plugs so we got the adapters. I just don't worry about cleanliness, but they could
be wiped off with alcohol if needed. We just bought the cheapest we could fine in
Brodart or similar. Most kids have their own if they are worried about germs.
9. We have headphones on approximately one-half of the computers in the middle
school library. I'm afraid we take no health precautions. Thanks for bringing up
the topic.
10. For my 16 desktop computers I have fours sets of head phones. I don'tthink
staph would be a problem since it's a blood-borne germ. I dowipe them down (when I
think of it) with disinfecting wipes.Most students do have their own headphones
attached to MP3 players andthose work just as well.
11. We generally don't let them use audio. If someone has an assignment requiring
sound, we have been known to let them use their IPOD earbuds or loan them a set of
our earbuds from mp3 players. When History Day judging is in the library, we bring
out speakers. Most people most of the time don't need sound. However, if you're in
an elementary school, it would be different because their programs need sound. In
that case I'd get the best sound-blocking earphones I could afford, clean them
often with disinfectant, and let kids use their own if they prefer to.