Good morning,

On Saturday, November 10th, I wrote about
bias in shelving of American Indian books,
primarily referring to an unpublished, but
excellent, paper on the ways that Dewey
and Library of Congress confine Native
materials to the history section---even
if the material isn't necessarily historical.
I linked to the paper (in pdf).

Earlier in the week...

On Wednesday, November 7th, I posted
my critique of Anne Rockwell's popular
picture book, THANKSGIVING DAY.
I do forewarn you here that I find many
flaws in the book. If it is among your
favorites, please know that I do not think
you're racist or insensitive for having warm
feelings toward it. I do hope, however,
that you will read my critique and then,
perhaps, use the book in a different way.
It is good, I think, for teaching children
(even ones in early elementary) that books
are not sacred cows, that they do contain
errors. Several years ago I wrote an article
for ERIC called "Teaching Young Children
about American Indians." I think it will be
helpful to you as you think about young
children and Thanksgiving. I link to the
article on my blog, in the section called
ARTICLES.

Thursday's post is an awesome graphic.
It was designed by the Tulsa City-County
Library, for a visit by Cynthia Leitich Smith.
The graphic is the word "read" in thirteen
different Native languages. That post generated
a lot of queries about using it as-is. I was able
to get in touch with the person at the library
who worked on it, and learned they are
pleased that it is getting this attention. They
are working on a revision to it and will send
me that revision this week. I'll post it along
with permission info on using it.

Friday, November 9th, I posted a review of
Eve Bunting's picture book, CHEYENNE
AGAIN. The review is by Beverly Slapin,
of Oyate.

I made two other changes this week...

In the intro at the top of the page (starts
with "Welcome to American Indians in
Children's Literature), I added a sentence
at the end that says: "And, click <http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/?p=67>here to
read about this blog, especially if you feel
uncomfortable or angry reading what I share
here." Clicking there will take you to a post
I wrote for ALSC's blog that describes
why I'm doing this blog.

And on the top right, I added a very short
note about terminology (American Indian?
or, Native American).

Well---that's the summary of this past week's
activity on my blog.  To get to it, visit my bio
at UIUC and click on 'Web Page'
http://www.nah.uiuc.edu/faculty-Reese.htm

And please forward this email to others you
know who work with children or books.

Have a good week,
Debbie

Debbie A. Reese (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House, Room 2005
1204 West Nevada Street, MC-138
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Email: debreese@uiuc.edu
TEL 217-265-9885
FAX 217-265-9880

My Internet blog and resource:
American Indians in Children's Literature
To get to it, visit my bio and click on 'Web Page'
http://www.nah.uiuc.edu/faculty-Reese.htm