Along those same lines, I thought, when entering library school, that librarianship
was about helping people. Therefore, I never thought I'd be reading all day, I
thought I'd be helping people all day.

The most reading I get done at work is reading the back covers of books and book
jackets and other required reading from book catalogs, book reviews and other
paperwork that needs to get done. To sit and actually read read. Not possible.

I'm always amazed though by the kids who come to the library, WANTING a book to
read, but don't want to read the back cover of a book to find out what the book is
about. They want ME to read it (if I haven't already read the book myself) and then
tell them what the book is about. (They are so precious)!

As for reading reading, well that's a pleasure so intense and private I would just
never even think to do that on the job!

_________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Passages Academy Libraries
941 Rev. James A. Polite Avenue
Bronx, New York 10459
tel: (718) 861-2003
fax: (718) 861-2039
psarles@schools.nyc.gov

"Nothing of value comes without being earned, That's why great leaders are those
who lead by example first. You can't demand respect because of a title or a
position and expect people to follow. That might work for a little while, but in
the long run people respond to what they see." - Michael Jordan

"Libraries are not made; they grow." - Augustine Birrell