We have 40 minute library periods, so each class starts with an activity
together as a large group. Sometimes they have projects to work on with
partners or individually following that and sometimes they just browse
for books. They always have about 10 minutes to read at the end of
class, and I sit and read with them. They often want to know what I'm
reading and this initiates good book discussion. They know they can
interrupt me if they need help, but my reading sets the example for them
to read. Many of the boys like to read the magazines during this time -
which is fine for me.

Twice a year (Children's Book Week and National Library Week) we have
D.E.A.R. school-wide and we all read for one class period - all the
adults and children as well. I think we make a statement about the
importance of reading in our lives when we show the students that we
spend valuable time reading. It doesn't mean we have nothing else to do;
it means that reading is valuable and a high priority.

If we establish an attitude of co-operation and collaboration with our
colleagues, then we are perceived as valuing reading- the same we want
for them to do. Our librarians have all the same duties as teachers.
Even though our "job description" is different, we all work hard and
respect each other.

This is Children's Book Week, so here's my advice:

Rise Up Reading!

Sue McGown
smcgown@sjs.org
St. John's School