oh yes, the bias in Dewey is BLATANT

the Christian religion is given almost the entire 200's, from 200-289, and every
other religion of the world is shmooshed together between 290 and 299, as if they
clearly don't count!

I never realized this about Dewey until I spent some time weeding the 200s in a
library I acquired many years ago, and I just happened to notice this

then I began to notice it in other parts of Dewey as well

yes, clearly Dewey had a Western, Christian bent that he applied to his
classification system - it's a shame because I think it's a good system and could
be embraced by more parts of the world had he been thinking a little more
holistically and a lot less ethnocentrically

_________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Passages Academy Libraries
941 Rev. James A. Polite Avenue
Bronx, New York 10459
tel: (718) 861-2003
fax: (718) 861-2039
psarles@schools.nyc.gov

"Nothing of value comes without being earned, That's why great leaders are those
who lead by example first. You can't demand respect because of a title or a
position and expect people to follow. That might work for a little while, but in
the long run people respond to what they see." - Michael Jordan

"Libraries are not made; they grow." - Augustine Birrell