here's what britannica has to say:

"The Dewey system's numerical classification provides a shorthand identification
and location tool. The notation lends itself to memory through the constant
repetition of a standard pattern (area arrangement, different numbers for
particular languages), through parallel subject developments (each book of the
Bible given the same development as the Bible as a whole), and through patterned
repetition of standard subdivisions (theory, study and teaching, history,
geography, etc.). To distinguish works within a group and to expedite retrieval,
many libraries add a book number created from the Cutter, or Cutter-Sanborn,
Tables, which provide further specifications for author and genre."

disappointingly, the Britannica makes no mention of Dewey's flaws in terms of his
bias, but rather that his system was adopted throughout the English-speaking world;
certainly not surprising considering how imperialist the English-speaking world
is/was

I do think a better classification tool, that does not show bias, would be
something based on the Britannica's Outline of Knowledge, the Propedia.

Is anyone working on anything like that?

_________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Passages Academy Libraries
941 Rev. James A. Polite Avenue
Bronx, New York 10459
tel: (718) 861-2003
fax: (718) 861-2039
psarles@schools.nyc.gov

"Nothing of value comes without being earned, That's why great leaders are those
who lead by example first. You can't demand respect because of a title or a
position and expect people to follow. That might work for a little while, but in
the long run people respond to what they see." - Michael Jordan

"Libraries are not made; they grow." - Augustine Birrell