I've already expressed my opinion about librarians reading on the job (I
consider it an important part of my job and am not defensive about it) -
but here is something I would like to know: how do we get more teachers
to read "on the job"?  I try to purchase the best and latest science,
history, etc.  titles; our math section has lots of good new titles, and
I buy the bestselling fiction; and I keep current with biographies.  How
can I get teachers to read in their content area without constantly
nagging and wheedling them?  When I walk into the teacher's lounge and
see them socializing during their prep period, I want to shove books
under their noses.  Even our best teachers would improve by reading the
latest published in their content area.  It seems that when they do
read, they read "education method" books.  I never miss an opportunity
to point out my latest acquisitions, and if teachers see me reading I
try to detain them and give them a brief review of the book and suggest
they read it, and I have emailed departments with titles and brief
reviews.  I would like to see more faculty reading and discussing
current science, history, and all the content areas.  Any ideas?

Sharon Slaney, Librarian

Timberlake H.S. Library

5973 W. Hwy 54

P.O. Box 909