My comment would be that not every tool resonates with everybody. I happen
to like the boards. They work well for me, and I think I use them well with
my style of teaching. This is true at the university level but was even more
true when I was a junior high librarian. The board was an exciting and
engaging tool and I found it worth the cost and space. But we are not all
alike! I do wince when I hear that a district or campus has gone out and
bought boards for all teachers or all classrooms. That seems to me to be
wasteful. Like any other device, it should be purchased for people who are
committed to using it as a tool to make kids think and learn! Best wishes to
all for a Happy Thanksgiving, mabell

On 11/12/07, Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo <acuseo@bkhs.org> wrote:

> I would so disagree - and politely.I have found my polyvision board has
> electrified me in my presentations. Tomorrow I am presenting an interactive
> powerpoint to 5 classes of seniors on how to use several of our databases as
> they begin their research paper...Took me hours to prepare but am very proud
> of the result.I have also found that bringing up the keyboard on the board
> while explaining the OPAC has simplified the process.We are also, as a
> school, requiring the students to use the boards in their presentations.Wemust
>remember it is a tool - as is a book, a pen, or a computer. It will
> work or not depending on what is done with it.AllanDr. Allan O'Grady
> Cuseo, MGCDirector of Library ServicesBishop Kearney High School | A
> Golisano Education Partner125 Kings Highway SouthRochester, New York
> 14617585.342.4000 x231585.342.4694 (fax)www.bkhs.orgCollege Prep.
> Plus.-----Original Message-----From: "DiGregorio, David" [
> ddigregorio@TENAFLY.K12.NJ.US]Date: 11/12/2007 04:08 PMTo:
> LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDUSubject: Re: [LM_NET] SMARTBOARDS:  A PILE OF JUNKI
> am not a fan of Smartboards since there are many other more elegant
> solutions for classroom presentation / interaction.  I see these units
> as cumbersome and distracting.   They will surely find their way
> (quicker than usual) to the school dumpster as new technologies sweep
> them aside.  I would be very cautious if you're considering  purchasing
> them.  Do not be fooled by their aggressive marketing schemes.   They
> are really nothing more than a pile of junk!
>

> David Di Gregorio
>
> ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us>
> Supervisor Library Media Services
>
> Tenafly High School
>
> www.librarymedia.net <http://www.librarymedia.net/>
>
> 19 Columbus Drive
>
> Tenafly, NJ 07670
>
> CELL: 201-696-8062
>
> 201.816.6617

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
> * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
> * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
> * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
> * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

"Try Curiosity!"--Dorothy Parker
Dr. Mary Ann Bell
Associate Professor
Sam Houston State University
A Member of the Texas State University System
Department of Library Science
lis_mah@shsu.edu
drmaryannbell@gmail.com