I agree 100% -- subject headings are much more
important

Who cares if the number is biased (understand I mean
this in a generic sense) -- the kids will never know
--
but if they can't find the book to start with - then
what good does it do for "correct" numbers

Paula

--- David Lininger <DLininger@SKYLINE.K12.MO.US>
wrote:

> Updating subject headings is much more important
> than what number is assigned to a particular work,
> or even broad category. I've seen libraries where
> materials are shelved by accession number. That
> makes browsing difficult, but the OPAC does that for
> you. Print out the list and go down the aisles.
>
> The big problem with updating the subject headings
> is that our patrons' brains aren't always updated.
> Consider those Americans whose distant ancestors
> came from Africa. At various times they have been
> listed as Negroes, Blacks, African-Americans, Black
> Americans, and probably others that I've forgotten.
> What happens when a student comes in and searches on
> the old term right after we've updated to the new
> term? Will they find what they are looking for? We
> probably need to keep the old terms and simply add
> the new ones.
>
> I'm old enough to remember typing individual cards
> for new books. Since each subject heading meant
> another card, I tried to pick subjects that were
> fairly broad, so that patrons would have more books
> to look for, rather than fewer. Today, with the
> computer, it is very easy to give one book 10
> subject headings, if one so desired. That way, a
> searcher will find the book even if they haven't
> updated their brains.
>
> One other thing to remember: Dear Old Dewey created
> a system for his day and place. Never in his wildest
> dreams would he have imagined that people all over
> the world would be trying to use his system. I
> suspect that he would even be amazed to see the
> detail with which we catalog books (seven numbers to
> the right of the decimal point!). Computers have
> allowed us to do things that Dewey never thought of,
> and we shouldn't blame him for not seeing a century
> into the future.
>

> David Lininger, kb0zke,
> MS/HS Librarian
> Hickory County R-1 Schools
> Urbana, MO 65767
> d l i n i n g e r  at S k y l i n e. k12. m o. us

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214