> --- Kristin Flater <Flatekr@PESD.K12.WI.US> wrote:
>
>> We are having an issue with students being off task
>> in our computer
>> labs. I was wondering if anyone knew of software
>> that would allow
>> supervisors to monitor what all students are doing
>> from one computer. We
>> have VNC viewer, but we can only check one computer
>> at a time. Is there
>> anything where you can see all monitors at once?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kristin

Technical monitoring systems are great. But they have to be part of a more
comprehensive approach. Make sure there is an expectation that when teachers
bring their students to the computer lab, they have a high quality lesson
plan PLUS extra credit projects for those students who finish the lesson to
do - or approved enrichment activities. NOT "Do your work and then you can
surf, gab, shop, and game." If students know they will not be able to play
after they finish their work, then they might spend more time getting the
work done at a higher standard.

I presented at a conference in Maryland and the classified computer lab
person said that teachers in her school were always bringing their students
to the lab without a well-thought-out lesson plan and then expecting her to
keep the kids from going to the wrong kinds of sites. Ridiculous!

Read The Secret Garden: "Where you tend a rose, a thistle cannot grow." Make
a poster of this statement for the teachers.

The narrated Powerpoint I am working on for teacher in-service on Effective
Internet Use Management will make the point of the need for clear standards
in this area - loud and clear. The building leader needs to set this as a
standard so librarians and computer monitors are well-supported.

Also a recommended supervision technique: Ever 5 minutes or so pick one
student, at random, and ask to see his or her history file. This has to be
done throughout the class period. Behavior management folks (I did used to
be a special ed teacher of kids with behavior problems) call this variable
negative reinforcement. The potential of detection of misuse that is
unpredictable is a very strong deterrent.

All the best.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)