>BETH< You may have deluged by suggestions for picture books featuring
past/present.  I used the picture books of Little House on the Prairie
yesterday with first grade.  My students like the series and we had a
good discussion as well as compart/contrast between life then and now.
I have also used Ox Cart Man.  I try to save that for economics
now--consumer, producer, etc.>YANKEE<

>NANCY< How about A Street Through Time:  A 12,000 year Walk through
History by Anne Millard (DK Publishing)?  My second graders are
fascinated and it's very detailed so it definitely works for older
students, too.  The pictures are very small, though.>KERSHNER<

Someone else I talked with mentioned Samuel Eaton's Day & Sarah Morton's
Day for the pilgrim kids during this time.  I've found many other good
publications to cover the historical era for the elementary level (1621:
A new look at Thanksgiving, the Mayflower 1620: A new look at a pilgrim
voyage, Eating the plates, and Turkeys, pilgrims, and Indian corn).

I decided to tie in the Now & Then theme with my Thanksgiving book talks
(practically wrote itself).  I went through and highlighted the themes
of food, method of eating, dress, activities, and reason for
celebration.  I used many of these books to showcase "then" and asked
the students about "now".  Tried my first one today and all went well!
It's not much, but it's definitely better then last year.

Thanks LM NET,

Josh Mika
LRC Director
Beebe Elementary