I am struggling with considering the value of print vs online resources
like every other librarian.   Here are some thoughts that perhaps you
can build on.  Yes, we do need some serious research concerning print vs
online for school libraries.

1.  The most important consideration for school libraries is: will your
online sources be there when you need them?  School library budgets
change with the economy.  In lean times we have little if no money to
spend on anything: including expensive databases, and even the upkeep of
the equipment with which we access the equipment.  If you receive little
or no budget one year, at least you will have print resources to offer
your students. Unless your administration is willing to make a long term
commitment to electronic databases, and e-books and other online
sources, then they need to reconsider doing away with print books.

2.  Equality of access is another important point.  Many students do not
have access to electronic sources at home.  How do they do their
homework if you don't have print sources to offer them?  In rural areas
it is difficult for them to get to a public library, where they might
have online access.  We have eAudiobooks available to our students now -
but you can't use them unless you have a computer and/or an MP3 player
to download them.  Access to the equipment to use the online resources
will always be problematic for some students.

3. Time is also a factor for use of online resources, especially
in-depth reading.  If a student has access to online databases or even
the Internet at home, they can find facts and figures readily - and can
copy and past and take notes for papers.  But if they want to read a
novel, or Bill Clinton's biography, or a political analysis, few of them
will want to confine themselves to their desk.  Books are mobile, and we
can adapt our reading time to what we are doing: in the car, at the gym,
waiting for the bus, etc.  Again, portable devices help with this, but
you have to have them to use them.

Hope these thought will help you develop arguments to help you retain
your valuable print resources.

Sharon Slaney, Librarian
Timberlake H.S. Library
5973 W. Hwy 54