A friend and I just presented on this topic at our state library
conference.  Our title was "Are Books Obsolete?" and our argument was
that yes, they are, for research purposes - or, if they aren't yet, they
are becoming so. Not everyone in the audience agreed w/us, as I'm sure
not everyone here will, either.  We had a great discussion, though, and
we weren't run out of the conference. :)

Here are some of the thoughts/rationales that led us to our stance:

While there are some legitimate arguments in favor of books for research
(mostly accessibility/budget issues), we have to keep in mind the
learning style and learning preferences of our 21st century learners.
Left to their own devices, most students will choose to do their
research online. I've come to the conclusion that this is a fight that I
don't want to wage - I want to focus on teaching them to be good
searchers and evaluators of online information, since that's what
they're going to do when they leave school, anyway.  Most college
students and adults will tell you they never set foot in a library for
research  - they do it all online.

Books don't always provide easy access to students, either.  Our
freshmen - all 150 of them - do research projects on the similar topics
at the same time.  All 150 of them were researching daily life topics in
Ancient Greece the same week.  I spent about $800 supplementing our
print collection w/books for them to use, then watched them become
frustrated trying to use them - how do you share 50 books among 150
students?  You can't let them check out the books to take home because
someone else needs the same book.  More of our students had access to
the world history database I subscribed to than the books - they could
access it from home if they had computers, and, if they didn't, at least
multiple students could access it at the same time from school, instead
of waiting for someone else to finish with the book they needed.  My
$800 would have been better spent on another database.

As for schools that don't have the $800 to spend - or any budget for
databases - the wealth of good information on the web can't be denied.
If we're teaching our students to be critical thinkers, to locate and
evaluate information - then they should be able to locate good, reliable
resources on the web.  If they can't do it, then we, as librarians
should be providing them with pathfinders to good online resources -
selecting and recommending websites for a project the same way we would
select & purchase books.

I don't believe that books for pleasure reading will become obsolete.
My spending habits have changed drastically in recent years - my book
purchases focus on high interest fiction and nonfiction for pleasure
reading, and I purchase databases for research.  I feel like this better
serves my students' 21st century needs and 21st century learning styles.

Anita Beaman
University High School
Normal, IL
albeam2@ilstu.edu