I must add my voice to those in absolute SUPPORT of SmartBoards.  Every
class in my Lower School (except the Library as there is simply no wall
space) has them and they are used constantly, every hour, every day, even in
the preschool.  They are as far from becoming obsolete as they are they from
being "cumbersome".  They are elegant, simple and infinitely useable,
particularly with an attached standing document camera.  The teachers at my
school discover new, helpful and useful applications 'round the
clock-literally (we talk about them in staff meetings.)  SmartBoards are not
the like LaserDiscs or 8-Track tapes, they amazing tools, not next year's
dinosaurs.  And as Libraries are traditionally early to adopt information
delivery methods (microfiche, internet, etc.) I cannot fathom why anyone in
our profession would shun this tool.

Perhaps those who do not like them have not seen all they can do.  The
"education" section of the SmartBoard website, smarttech.com
<http://www.smarttech.com/> , is sort of a "Mailbox" for the next millennia
with teachers submitting lesson plans they've created specifically for use
with a SmartBoard.  My teachers mostly create their own but do borrow ideas
from this section of the website.  Our students are more and more visually
oriented-this helps to reach them.

Jennifer England

Lower School Librarian

Heritage Hall School

Oklahoma City, OK

 <mailto:jengland@heritagehall.com> jengland@heritagehall.com

"Wicked people never have time for reading," Dewey said. "It's one of the
reasons for their wickedness." from The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket

Omnia in Libris