My original posting was:

We are planning to upgrade our library automation system and are

> investigating various companies. We currently are using the Dynix

> Scholar program for our 12 sites. I would appreciate any input on the

> following systems: > Alexandria Atriuum Follett Destiny SirsiDynix

The responses:

We are currently considering Destiny and KOHA, an open source program.

We are successfully running KOHA in two of our elementary buildings.

I've been using the Concourse system (from the makers of Atriuum) for
years and find it very easy to work with.  I haven't had the money to
upgrade to Atriuum, but I think it would be my choice.  Booksystems is
an excellent company to work with and their tech support (on the few
times I've actually needed it) has been great.

We switched from Dynix Scholar to Follett Destiny about three years ago
and we love Destiny! It is much simpler than Dynix and more user
friendly for librarians and patrons. The only problem we encountered in
the conversion had to do with our Dynix records. We had to do a little
clean up of records the first year when we did inventory, but it was
relatively seamless.

We're looking at replacing Athena next year, and we've looked at three
of your systems. Alexandria and Atriuum are two of the three finalists
(Koha is the other). Destiny didn't make the cut because of price. If
you can afford it, Destiny is a good system and has some really
impressive add-ons.

I just switched from Follett to Alexandria and am quite happy. I wanted
to go web based and queried Follett, Mandarin (I think) and Alexandria.

Follett's base was 4999 and Alexandria's was 2999. Follett had some
really great add-ons but each one ran about 499. When I tried to upgrade
my software instead of going web-based they wanted to charge me back
tech support to upgrade. I felt that this was highway robbery as I
understood that I was taking a chance needing tech support and didn't
think I should pay for support I didn't need in order to upgrade.

Follett is getting too big in my humble opinion.

Alexandria conversion did not go without hitches, but everything was
answered. I did end up getting a discount on the 2999 price because they
were running a promotion, so I splurged for one of their extras - title
peak. The barcode scanner I had from before was compatible. I don't find
the program quite as intuitive as Follett, but I like it so far.

We use SIRSIDYNIX as does most of the library systems in Alaska.  Have
been using SIRSI since 2000. This is a very complex topic.  We went
through extensive RFP process at the time and chose the best that was
feasible at the time.  Migration from another system (CIRC PLUS with
Follett) was extensive and batched with a tape load from OCLC of our
holdings. End output was completely digital.  We have 1.4 million items
in our OPAC and SIRSI works well with our 120 site distribution. Reports
are suitable and some are run from central administration unit.

Do include the director's station for as much ease as possible.  Annual
pricing (renewable licensing and upgrade fees) have been built into
budget process.  This undertaking is not cheap by any means.

From the archives:

We use Alexandria and have for about 15 years.  I love it.  There is
never a charge for upgrades as long as you keep your subscription
current.  You can add a Lexile component (one time fee) and the system
will automatically search through your collection for lexiles, adding
them if you don't already have it entered.  The "Study Program" feature
(part of the regular subscription) allows for AC or Reading Counts or
your "other"

programs.  There are several ways to search, from easy to Boolean and
the graphic interface is great.  Cataloging is made easy or you can
catalog in the traditional MARC record format.  Go to their website and
read about

it: http://www.companioncorp.com/ or call them (they are very nice).
Our district is running on crossplatform (MAC and Windows).  Their
training is excellent and tech support is great!

Sue Johnston

Librarian

Central High School

Aberdeen, SD