Thanks for all the ideas for decorating a tree or wreath. Below is the HIT.
I apologize for losing some. I was reading a bunch, my computer screen went
blank, and they were gone! However, I think the idea of most of them has
been covered in other posts.

I think what I have decided to do is create a bulletin board with photos of
teachers reading with the title "All I want for Christmas is a great book!".
I'm going to hang each 8x10 with ribbon. Then I am going to decorate a
wreath with mini books.

For those of you who get to decorate for the holidays - happy decorating!

Original Post :

Creative Ones -

> I'm trying to think of a way to decorate a Christmas tree or wreath with a

> library theme. I don't really want to do book covers, because I tend to

> use

> those often on my bulletin board. I thought of using bookmarks. Any other

> great ideas?

Old demo cd's.  I made a tree on my door using them.  I alternated the
colorful label side with the silver, unlabeled side.

  _____

Old CD's can be decorated like wreaths or with any scraps of fabric, ribbon,
beads, etc.

  _____

How about printing some of your favorite quotes from books on colorful paper
and hanging those from the tree? Or info lit words like "genre" "dewey"
"fiction" etc.

  _____

Tere, how about book characters?

  _____

I used very small children's books that I had gotten at Wal-Mart.  They each
measured only about the size of an index card.  The ones I found were Disney
stories that even came with a ribbon hanger.  I also did a miniature tree.
I glued small books from a doll house section of the craft store plus hung
some mini multicultural children on it.

  _____

How about favorite quotes (either from books or otherwise) written on
colorful paper - good luck!

  _____

Could you have students help make small (4-5 inch tall) "paper dolls" of
characters in books they enjoyed?  Cardstock for the bodies, colored
paper/wallpaper for clothing and things from the book (ex. Charlotte would
need to have Wilbur at her feet).  They could make them front and back and
then you could laminate them and hang them like ornaments.

  _____

How about book themed plushies?

  _____

What fun!  You can have a Christmas tree!  I used to, but then moved to
public schools.  I had a large collection of book themed ornaments and small
character dolls that I would hang on my tree.  I used them on a wreath the
first years I was in public schools, but last year went to only gingerbread
figures.

A snowflake could be A Snowy Day; a mitten The Mitten etc.

  _____

I've done a Dr. Seuss Christmas tree for the media center with a few pewter
ornaments that were give aways a few years back from Burger King, and having
the kids choose a Dr. Seuss character and draw it on a round circle cut out
which they then colored and I laminated and strung on the tree. The topper
was a Cat in the Hat, hat I have. Under the tree I placed many Dr. Seuss
books.

  _____

Ours is decorated with shiny silver CD's. We were collecting the junk mail
variety, such as AOL start ups. We put ribbons thru the middle - tied at the
top.
My aide even glued 3 cd's together (twice), then put them back to back with
ribbons, making a star for the top.

(We have this tree up on a counter, but kids still will reach up to turn a
cd over to see what was on it!!)

  _____

On our Library Christmas tree are ornaments donated by teachers through the
past few years.  Most of the ornaments have something to do with their hobby
or area of teaching or coaching.  On the bottom is written their name.

  _____

I do a paper tree on my window.  It's my read aloud tree.  Each class (4K,
5K and 1st) is given a different colored circles (Christmas

ornaments)  Each child returns the ornament to the library once someone has
read aloud to them 3 books - they write the 3 books on the ornament.  The
kids get to enjoy seeing the tree decorated and can easily spot the
ornaments from their classroom as identified by color.

This also gives me the opportunity to reinforce the importance of reading
aloud to the parents.

You can see the information I handed out on my website at

http://www.teacherweb.com/WI/HolyApostlesNewBerlin/LibraryandLearningCe

nter/

Go to the 3rd picture - and you will see a link to the Read Aloud Christmas
Tree.

This may not work if your kids are older - I'm not sure what grades you have
- but maybe older kids could make a point of reading aloud to someone?  to a
grandparent?  a younger sibling?  Reading aloud is a great skill that often
gets ignored in the older grades.

  _____

  _____

Bookmarks that kids decorate  - favorite book or ........

or that open book diecut - plain gold ones or silver or red and green ones
or kids put name & book on it

  _____

I once cut out book cover pictures from catalogs, book club covers, etc and
taped them to colored paper backings, punched a hole, and hung them all over
the tree with hooks. It looked very cute!

  _____

We are using Ellison dies of different Christmas/winter shapes and asking
students and teachers to put their favorite book title and his/her name on
one.  We'll put some ribbon on it and hang it on the tree for decoration.

  _____

Tere, in the past I have decorated a small tree with miniature books.  Of
course I only had five...but happened to be at a used booksale at the
Georgia State Archives a couple of weekends ago and found a bunch of
miniature ones.  I'm going to use various colored ribbons to loop through
the center of the book and hang on the tree with ornament hangers.  I like
your bookmark idea and may use that too!  Ha...  I have bookmarks from way
back (in the 1980's) in high school...and some unsual ones (I paid about $30
for one at a conference in Indianapolis at the IRA conference several years
ago).

  _____

I have made ornaments from old overhead bulbs I have saved over the years. I
just hot glued on tiny red bows. Looks great with the junk CDs that come in
the mail - very sparkly in the lights.

  _____

What about color photos [on ornaments, or by themselves] of favorite
authors' faces?

  _____

My idea is to use items from books, then do a key that will be passed out
for the kids to solve that follows the "I Spy" books to see if children can

find the items on the tree that represent characters in the library.    For

instance:   Find three pigs (three little pigs), find the striped scarf

(Harry Potter), etc.   Find the paint brush (from our painting non-fiction

books).   I am incorporating the tree as a game!

  _____

I have a collection of ornaments featuring book characters that I use on my
library Christmas tree.  Hallmark usually has at least a few each year and
you can also find them on ebay.

Tere Hager

Secondary Librarian

Brentwood Christian School