"Ivet M. Navarro" <ivet.navarro@BROWARDSCHOOLS.COM> on Friday, November
02, 2007 at 9:45 AM -0500 wrote:
Thank you to all of you who answered my post.  Here is what I have
received so far.  Sorry that it took me so long.  Love "yall."

ORIGINAL POST:
>I have some 5th grader girls that are starting their menstruations.  They

>don't know how it works or why they have it.  One of them came asking me

>"what she could take because her stomach have been hurting for the past

>two days."  I tried to explain the basics to some of them but it is not

>the same as when they read it.  This is a community of very low income

>families and I would like to expose them to information that they can

>benefit from now on and maybe could share with mom, grandma, or "auntie."
>benefit from now on and maybe could share with mom, grandma, or "auntie."

>Does anyone know any books that I can buy them that is age appropriate and
>Does anyone know any books that I can buy them that is age appropriate and
>not too confusing or difficult for them?  Thanks in advance.

------
http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-7782977-3190037?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194012042&sr=8-1
I bought this for my nine year old. I think it's very good.

-----
My daughter is 11 now and for the past 3 years we have been using the
book, "the care and keeping of you" in the American Girl series. It is
excellent!  It talks about all sorts of issues, physical and mental. They
use cartoons but it is not cartoonish.  I highly recommend it! Hope this
helps!

-----
I've found the American Girl "The Care and Keeping of You" to be a good
book.  I use it with my own daughter (now 12) and have for a couple of
years.  I've belonged to a working moms Internet list for more than 10
years and this book keeps coming up as an excellent resource.

-----
The what's happening to my body? book for girls : a growing-up guide for
parents and daughters / Lynda Madaras, with Area Madaras ; drawings by
Simon Sullivan and Jackie Aher.

There is another one of the same title for the boys as well.  I did have a
parent say it was not what she wanted her son to have, not appropriate for
him, but she understood the necessity of having such a book.

Same note, eight or nine years ago, I had second grader who started her
period.  She did not understand even how to change her pad.  She would let
me know she needed to go to the nurse, and she would change her underwear
and be back after cleaning up.

Our kids are starting very young!  Maturation comes when it wants to.  I
was almost 16 before I got mine!!!

-----
American Girls has a book called "The Care and Keeping of You".  I used it
with my daughter in 3rd and 4th grade.  Practical, illustrated, tasteful.
A great book for elementary grades.

-----
Broward Co. has a health program mandated on Sexual ed topics and if I
were you I'd first speak to the guidance counselor asking where the
materials (videos and teacher binder) are kept if you can't find them in
the professional area of your media center. I am assuming you may be new
to media or perhaps to Broward Co. schools? Once you find the written
materials there is most likely going to be a list of references at the
back that will help you in your search. I would not undertake this task,
certainly not "explaining" anything about menstruation without the
blessings of your administration. The child's parents may not be happy
that you have spoken to their child without their permission. I usually am
not involved in the "Human Sexuality" program at our school, but that is
the way it would work where I am. Call me if you want to talk about it.

-----
The book Changing You!: A Guide to Body Changes and  Sexuality by Dr. Gail
Saltz might help. It addresses the whole puberty issue. Written very
simply, with very clear illustrations. A "Note to Parents" leads in and
"Guidelines to talk to your child about Sexuality" ends the book.

This is the Kirkus Review --
Kirkus Review (August 15, 2007)
In the note to parents that precedes this chatty offering, Saltz says, "By
[ages seven to ten, children] know that the sperm is in Daddy and the egg
is in Mommy, so naturally they are wondering, 'How does one get to the
other?'
" The answer is here, in nicely anatomically cross-sectioned detail, along
with an introduction to the changes that come with puberty leading up to
the egg-and-sperm moment, and a brief discussion of the pregnancy that may
well follow. In both its address to parents and children, the text is
appropriately reassuring and matter-of-fact (much care is taken to use
medical vocabulary for genitalia), although much is missing. There is no
discussion of birth control or STDs, and it assumes a values system in
which sexual intercourse and having babies are linked, without marriage as
a prerequisite. Cravath's cartoon illustrations are accurate and amusing,
and take some care to depict a multiethnic cast. In comprehensiveness,
frankness and warmth, however, the whole cannot hold a candle to the Robie
H. Harris/Michael Emberley trio of sex-ed books and must therefore be
considered an additional purchase. (Nonfiction. 6-12)

-----
I really like this American Girls book about girls and their bodies:

The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
(Paperback)
by [
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/105-7771956-1420463?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Valorie%20Schaefer
]Valorie Schaefer (Author), [
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/105-7771956-1420463?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Norm%20Bendell
]Norm Bendell (Illustrator)

-----
I just bought:

        Growing up : it's a girl thing : straight talk about first bras, first
periods, and your changing body
        by Mavis Jukes
It looks good to me and had very favorable reviews.  Good luck!

-----
I'd suggest one of the books from The American Girl Library (lots of good
stuff in that series!), The Care & Keeping of You:  The Body Book for
Girls, ISBN 978-1562476663.  It's clear and thorough without being either
too clinical or too cutesy.  If they'd like to read a fictional take on
what they're going through, there's always Judy Blume's Are You There,
God?  It's Me, Margaret.

-----
American Girl publishes a book called "The care and keeping of you"  It is
excellent!

-----
Hopefully someone has already suggested "The Care and Keeping of You",
American Girl, 1998.   It is readily available in paperback at Barnes and
Noble.  The pictures are informative and very detailed.  I am recommending
this book as a librarian and mom of a 14-year old daughter.  It seems to
the the standard of all my daughter's friends' moms, too.  I went to the
public library (two years ago?) to find something for personal use with my
daughter and did not find anything better on their shelves.  Several other
titles went more in-depth into sexual topics than I wanted back then.
But, I am sure there are some newer titles by now.

-----
Your question is right up my alley!  I teach family life education to 5th
grade girls and their favorite book is The Care and Keeping of You
published by the American Girl publishers.  A few other books I like:
Growing up: It's a Girl Thing by Mavis Jukes, The Period Book by Karen
Gravelle, What's Happening to my body? Book for Girls by Lynda Madaras.
There is an excellent website if you did not want to purchase books: [
http://www.kidshealth.com ]www.kidshealth.com
This site answers questions girls have about puberty.
An interactive site from proctor and gamble, makers of Always and Tampax
is [ http://www.beinggirl.com ]www.beinggirl.com

-----
The book I'd recommend (I bought it for my daughter) is The Care and
Keeping of You (American Girls Library) -
http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/102-4826698-5774536

-----
You might look at the American Girl library selections. I know one book I
have is the Feelings Book: the care and keeping of your emotions by Lyndia
Madison.  Here's the tiny to the AG website. url [
http://tinyurl.com/3y5m76 ]http://tinyurl.com/3y5m76.  Another book they
have on the site is The care and Keeping of you - the girl body book. I
have found these books to be really accessable for 5th and 6th graders. In
fact the Groom your room book I can't keep on the shelf!  I hope this
helps.

-----
I use Mavis Jukes' It's a Girl Thing!  I make them promise to take it home
and share with an adult female in the family whom they trust and can talk
about it.

-----
Are you there God? It's me Margaret by Judy Blume comes to mind.

-----
The period book : everything you don't want to ask (but need to know) / by
Karen Gravelle & Jennifer Gravelle ; illustrations by Debbie Palen

Menstruation / Ann Byers

Gotcha covered! : everything you need to know about your period / by Lisa
McGuinness and Chris Boral

On the spot : real girls on periods, growing up, and finding your groove /
Karle Dickerson

First moon : celebration & support for a girl's journey into womanhood /
Maureen Theresa Smith

Everything a girl needs to know about her periods / Jane Feinman

Period. : a girl's guide to menstration with a parent's guide / JoAnn
Loulan, Bonnie Worthen ; illustrated by Chris Wold Dyrud & Marcia
Quackenbush

Growing up : it's a girl thing : straight talk about first bras, first
periods, and your changing body / by Mavis Jukes ; illustrations by Debbie
Tilley

Have you started yet? / written by Ruth Thomson ; illustrated by Jane
Eccles ; foreword by Barbara Zipkin ; designed by S. Pomeroy

What you've always wanted to know about your "." / by Susie Shellenberger

-----
Marlo Thomas - Free to Be You and Me

-----
I have two daughters,  fifteen ten, and they both found these books to be
the most readable and clear about menstruation.  They referred back to
them when they had questions and I recommend them highly.  The drawings
are accurate, but not gratuitous, and they are written in simple, easy to
understand language with appropriate labels and names for human female
anatomy.

The Period Book,Updated Edition: Everything You don't Want to Ask (But
Need to Know) by Karen Gravelle and Debbie Palen
Copyright 2006
The essential guidebook for every girl.
The Period Book is a reassuring must-read for every girl about to have her
period, and every parent wishing to prepare a daughter for this important
milestone. With more than 300,000 copies sold, The Period Book stands out
from the pack by specifically addressing younger girls. And with eleven
now the average age at which girls get their period, this supportive and
practical approach, providing clear and sensitive answers to common
questions, is even more welcome today.
The revised edition includes a new introduction for parents and an
additional chapter about body image.
Reading level: Ages 4-8
Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers; Updated edition (May 30, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0802777368
ISBN-13: 978-0802777362
Product Dimensions: 6.9 x 6.9 x 0.5 inches

The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl
Library)
By Valorie Schaefer
This bestselling guide answers all the questions growing girls have about
their bodies - from hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to bra buying,
pimples to periods. It offers guidance about basic hygiene and health
without addressing issues of sexuality. Over 1 million copies sold.
A preteen girl's guide to basic health and hygiene--from braces to bras,
pimples to periods, hair care to healthy eating
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 104 pages
Publisher: American Girl (September 1998)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1562476661
ISBN-13: 978-1562476663
Product Dimensions: 10.6 x 7 x 0.4 inches

-----
I wonder if any of the 'personal' item companies would have things that
they would send you for free, booklets, etc.
.You might want to try them.
Also our school nurse does classes in Family Life for our students and
covers the process..
If there is a nurse at your school, or in your county/central office, they
might be able to help.  How about the visiting nurse or calling the
local/county health dept, or one of the ob-gyn offices and see if they
might have material that they could make available...or even arrange to
send a speaker.
You might want to make sure that you can discuss these items with your
students.  I know that those students taking the Family Life classes have
to have signed permission slips.

-----
I love:  It's Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris (grades 4+) and It's
Amazing (younger students).  Well-written , with the perfect touch for a
touchy subject for kids.

-----
I liked this one. It is not about sexuality, just about menstruation for
the 5th grade and up crowd.

Period.: A Girl's Guide (Lansky, Vicki) (Paperback)
by JoAnn Loulan (Author), Bonnie Worthen (Author), Marcia Quackenbush
(Illustrator), Chris Wold Dyrud (Introduction)

-----
 bought "The Period Book" for my daughter because of the good reviews and
was pleased with it. Here is a link to it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-8072081-4525509?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194052005&sr=1-2

-----
I don't know the author off hand, but there is a fiction story collection
called Period Pieces that is just what it says stories from different
views and girls from different times and walks of life about their
experiences beginning menstrations.  I have fifth grade girls and it is
very appropriate for them.  Not so much the factual biological stuff, but
more of an every woman must contend with this. Good Luck

-----
Title
The care & keeping of you : the body book for girls / by Valorie Schaefer
; illustrated by Norm Bendell. American girl library (Middleton, Wis.)
Author Schaefer, Valorie.; Bendell, Norm,; ill.;
Summary
A preteen girl's guide to basic health and hygiene--from braces to bras,
pimples to periods, hair care to healthy eating.
Subject
1. Girls--Health and hygiene. 2. Grooming.
Notes
"American girl library."
Publisher
Middleton, WI : Pleasant Company Publications, c1998.
ISBN/ISSN
1562476661
LCCN
98024817 /AC
Physical Description
104 p. : col. ill. : 28 cm.

Body Language: New Moon Talks About Growing Up (Paperback)
by Deborah Mylin (Editor)

Product details
•       Paperback
•       Publisher: New Moon Pub (Feb 1999)
•       Language English
•       ISBN-10: 0965277739
•       ISBN-13: 978-0965277730