Here's a HIT in response to my request for books similar to The
Mitten. My original email is at the bottom. Thank you so much. The
kids will be happy, they've decided to do a similar story for their
holiday play.

I received many recommendations for Jan Brett's The Umbrella and Move
over, Rover! by Karen Beaumont

The Napping House by Audrey Wood and Don Woo
Big Pumpkin by Silverman
Who Sank The Boat by John Burmingham and Always Room for one more.
One Dog Canoe by Mary Casanova.
The Enormous Carrot by Valdimar Valdin
The carrot seed / by Ruth Krauss
Any of the McBroom series by Sid Fleischman
Boy soup or when giant caught cold written and illustrated by Loris
Lesynski.
There are many versions of The Old Lady who swallowed a Fly
Giant Vegetable Tales:
The Giant Cabbage / Cherie B. Stihler
The Giant Carrot / Jan Peck
The Enormous Potato / Aubrey Davis
The Enormous Carrot / Vladimir Vasilevich Vagin
Mushrooms in the Rain, by Ginsburg
The Enormous Turnip, Big Pumpkin, by Erica Silverman.
Is There Room on the Feather Bed?  by Libba Moore Gray
The Squeaky, Creaky Bed  by Pat Thomson

I came across a folktale recently from Thailand - The Girl Who Wore Too
Much - retold by Margaret Read MacDonald - in English with  Thai text by
Supaporn Vathanaprida

Original Request:

I am looking for books we can compare to The Mitten.
I am not looking for books about mittens, but every search I do keeps
coming up with mitten & winter wear books! I'd really like stories
that follow the same pattern of "piling on". An example is the
Gigantic Turnip that takes more and more animals to pull it out of
the ground. Folktales are preferable, but any good story will do.

Pamela Burke
Librarian, Marlboro School
Marlboro, VT 05344
http://marlboroschool.net