From: Davinna Artibey <davinnajo@gmail.com>
Date: Nov 19, 2007 10:29 AM
Subject: TARGET: Should I Censor a Student Poetry Blog?
To: LM_NET@listserv.syr.edu

Hi.  My assistant principal just told me that I need to remove some
poems from a new  blog I created where students can post their
original poetry:  http://dcispoets.blogspot.com/   So far I haven't
taken them down and have instead asked for more discussion that
includes the student bloggers.

A few poems either mention or are completely about suicide or cutting.
 Our social worker is going to check in with those students.

However, the main concern of my principal and a teacher in the room is
that other students reading poems on these topics will be more likely
to engage in these behaviors.  I am, of course, concerned about
student safety and don't want to jeopardize it.  However, I'm not
convinced that their theory is true.  I also don't want to stifle
student expression and want to stand up against censorship.  We have
books like "Cut" by Patricia McCormick in our library.  If that book
were challenged there would be a whole process that would need to take
place before it was removed.

However, with this new technology, I think this is a bit unprecedented.

I would appreciate any input as I go through this experience.

Davinna Artibey
Teacher Librarian
Denver Center for International Studies
Davinnajo@gmail.com