Hi, Janice.
Two of the projects we've done came to mind when I read your request.  In both
projects, we used technology to differentiate instruction for our students.

In the first project, we were doing a research project on the planets with second
graders.  The end product was an acrostic poem on one of the planets.  We carefully
grouped the kids into teams based on various academic needs, though we did not let
the children know this--they were not seated at the computers by team, and we told
them we had created the teams so that we didn't end up with 20 poems all on the
same subject.  The kids used a webquest format for their research (it's here
online:
http://classrooms.livoniacsd.org/agordon/LessonContent/Astronomy/Acrostics/SpaceAcrostics.htm).
  If you visit the page, you'll notice that Team Two has the shortest words, while
Team One has the longest.  In addition, the planet names take the kids to an
information page.  Kids who were reading below grade level were directed to pages
where they could click on a link and hear a voice (mine) reading them the text on
the page.  In that way, they got some assistance in an unobtrusive manner, so that
they were able to participate without having to have an adult work with them
through the whole text.  Protecting a child's dignity is important.

Our other project is a collaborative Art and Social Studies project.  The kids
research a famous landmark in Europe, and use a photo of the landmark to create a
half-drawn, half-photo picture which is displayed with a picture label explaining
what it is.  I varied the length and reading level of the information the kids were
reading for their research, and chose photos that varied in detail.  The classroom
teacher and I went over the class roster, and assigned topics based on whether or
not the kids needed a challenge, a grade-level resource, or a simpler resource.
Kids with fine motor issues were given photos with less detail, so that they would
be successful in creating their picture.  We tried to create a wide variety of
options, so that we had challenging reading with a simple photo, challenging
reading with a detailed photo, simple reading with challenging photos, etc.--kids
have an amazing range of abilities, don't they?  Our project is here:
http://classrooms.livoniacsd.org/agordon/Webquests/Third/Europe%20Files/QuickCity/QuickTourFinal.htm

>>> Janice <loveyourlibrary@VERIZON.NET> 11/17/07 10:14 AM >>>
Hello,

The problem I'm having is dealing with Differentiated Instruction (DI) - how do we
implement it?  I know we all do it without realizing it but how do we build it into
a project?

2 years ago I collaborated with my music teacher on a project in which 5th graders
researched the origins of musical instruments.  It went very well.  We worked
together to teach Garage Band and students could use it to recite their projects
using Garage Band to create their own background music.  I gave each student who
chose this option, a CD of their recording.  Other options to present end products
were: a poster or written essay.  All 3 projects had to answer 10 questions.

We want to do something similar and include our art teacher.  The topic will be
artists, (from the entire entertainment spectrum) who overcame obstacles to
achieve.  And thanks to all who have given me great artists.

On this project we want to differentiate instruction as our school is putting a big
push on this.  I'm in the infancy stages of planning and somewhat know what the
students should take away from the project.  By the end of the project, students
should have:  located & accessed information from different sources, took notes,
created a works cited page, & presented their project in 1 of various ways.

I know posters, essays, and PowerPoints are all options to present.  We could also
use Garage Band as we did during the last project.  I'm also thinking of making the
creation of Wiki an option.

Have you experienced DI in your collaborations?  How did you address it?  Thanks
for your advice.

Cleveland Hill ES School
loveyourlibrary@verizon.net

Janice Kowalski-Kelly, LMS
Cleveland Hill
Elementary
Information is the currency of democracy.
Thomas Jefferson