I made sure when I was hired here 7 years ago to wear clothes that showed my
tattoos, as I didn't want the selection committee to feel as if they were fooled.
I'm 52, have several visible and several unseen tats, and don't really get the
bruhaha. As someone in the Parent magazine said, I can't (and wouldn't) tell kids
not to get tattoos, but I do encourage my high schoolers (and my own children) to
wait a few years. I talk about how they will change, and ask them to reflect on
what they were like at 12, and what they're like now at 17, 18, etc. My own son did
wait until he was 22 to get his first, and is still perfecting the drawings for his
second. Interestingly, I thought my children would be embarassed that their Mom was
tattood, but they always thought it was cool. Go figure!  I'm still trying to
figure out where to put my next one - know what it will be, just not where. When
it's time, I'll know.

  My two cents,

  Teri

Gail Smith <gssmith.ergc@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
  When I got my tattoo this past fall (at age 58), a 2.5 inch butterfly on the
front of my left shoulder, the tattoo artist told me of a web site called
the Modified Librarian . A number of
librarians with tattoos and unusual piercings have posted pictures and
stories about their adventures in the world of body modifications.

My students and especially my co-workers were surprised, claiming that I am
the last person they would have thought would get a tattoo. Eventually,
when it was still there several weeks later, several students gathered up
their courage to ask it it was real. I really can't say why I decided to get
a tattoo, but it was something fun, and I guess the fact that others find it
unexpected makes it even better.

Gail Smith, NBCT
Librarian & Technology Facilitator
Edison Regional Gifted Center, Chicago