Here is the clarification I received concerning the difference between a
Selection Policy and a Collection Development Policy:  Thank you to all
who responded.

 The terminology is confusing even in the professional literature, but
here is my perspective as the consultant for the NC school media centers
and as member of the state library's LSTA committee that provides
various grants for school and public libraries.  Others on the list may
have better explanations.

In NC school library media centers, the policy you describe is referred
to as a selection policy.  In addition to the selection policy, school
media centers should have long-range (3-5 year) "collection development
plans" that outline the specific areas of the collection that need to be
developed.  The plan should be based on an analysis of the collection
and how it supports the curriculum, and on teacher input for needed
instructional support resources (which can change whenever there are
curriculum revisions, student populations changes, new instructional
strategies, etc.).

In a public library, the needs of the community do not change
drastically in most cases.  For this reason, they use the term
"collection development policy" that incorporates the elements of a
selection policy and the range/types of resources that are ordered on an
ongoing basis.  Detailed long-range collection development plans that
school media centers use to address gaps and weaknesses are not
necessary.

They are synonymous. Selection implies choosing materials for the
library collections.

Our "Selection Policy" is also known as a "collection development
policy"---it all entails what materials we will select for the library
to support the curriculum and to encourage students to read for
enjoyment.  The Selection Policy also includes what we "deselect" (or

weed) and how we handle gifts.  We also include our "Reconsideration of
Materials" form for book challenges.

I think the terms are interchangeable in many ways; however, if you have
several of the key documents I think you can call it "Our Library
Policies" and be covered.

You are correct - what you describe is a selection policy. Collection
development is process from which you develop a plan for improving the
collection. It is conducting an analysis of the collection, identifying
needs, planning for funding those needs.  It also includes the weeding
process.

To me the "collection development" part broadens to mean having an above
adequate amount of each area represented.  For example, if you have
books on the Catholicism, do you have the same amount or quality of
books about other religions?  Do you have the same amount of basketball
books as baseball?  Do you have the same amount of dog books as cat
books, or whatever your client base needs are??

I suppose that, technically, they are different animals, but for all
practical purposes they are the same. A "Collection Development Policy"
would guide you in deciding how much emphasis to give one area or
another, while a "Selection Policy" would guide you on which book to buy
or weed.

Most school libraries will actually put both things in one document. The
CDP, for example, may say that in order to support the curriculum, at
least 50% of the budget must be spent on materials that can be used for
research or in the classroom. That will support your purchase of a DVD
on underwater basket weaving because you have such a class, and back you
up when the coach wants you to buy every football DVD you can find, even
though you don't even have a football team. The SP might say that any
book or DVD purchased must have at least two favorable reviews, that you
can accept donations (but are not obligated to do so), and that any book
or video over 10 years old may be removed from the collection regardless
of whether or not it is Frau Schmidt's favorite that she has used every
year for the past 50 years.

Sharon Slaney, Librarian

Timberlake H.S. Library

5973 W. Hwy 54