Thanks for all the responses I received to my question about how you file
Seuss and LeSieg books.

I think I will stay with keeping them separate on the shelf but take the
opportunity to explain pseudonyms in the same way I do with Pilkey/Denim.

Since we have more than 2 LeSieg books now, they should be easier to find.
It always amazes me how the some books get found by every grade level, like
Halloween Motel by Diviny.  If they like it, they will find it I guess.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it so much.  Below are the responses I
received.

===

Technically, Dr. Seuss is Theo LeSieg.  However, Mr. Geisel writes very
differently as Theo LeSieg than he did as Dr. Seuss.  I file LeSieg at E L
and Dr. Seuss at E S.

===

Here is what I do....

Since I totally stress to the 1st graders that you find books by the authors
last name--I file them seperately.

I find that the lower kids are the ones that will actually remember how to
find books by author as opposed to my Jr.

Highers who will wander around the shelves aimlessly for half an hour trying
to find Jane Austen amidst Robert Louis Stevenson no matter how many times I
tell them "you know your ABC's and 123's--you can find any book in the
library!"  If the younger ones have this concept in their minds, hopefully
it will carry over for a few years and they won't have that difficulty
later.

Of course, I also put all "Samuel Clemens" books in with Twain also. Just
make life easier for the kiddos. I know some folks think that putting all of
Dr. Seuss's books together in one place would be easier, but to me it would
be too confusing for young minds.

By the way--I love the Oktember and Wacky Wednesday books.

We do a whole bulletin board each year with all the things that "could"
happen and the kids love inventing new things.

===

We catalog under E SEU or  E LES, but have a separate Dr Seuss

shelf.      Perhaps put a "Cat in the Hat" sticker on the spine and

create a separate area for his books?

===

Ours were separated, but I changed them all to
Seuss.  It is easier that way for us.  Most people did not realize LeSeig
was Giesel, tho I suppose we really should put them under Geisel?   (not)

===

I treat them as two different authors, as that's how the kids will be
looking for them.

===

I put them all under Seuss.

===

Since I am currently in a MS not an issue, but when I was in ES, I was VERY
radical in my placment of books---under the name of the author:
GEISEL---since THAT is the REAL name of the author.

Now, what are you going to do with  the Eastman books?

===

We file them separately but I make a big deal of sharing a 'secret' with my
students about the author using the name LeSieg which is his real last name
spelled backward. I have them see if that would work with their name. It
makes them look for the books according to the way the author is on the
book. I explain pseudonym(sp?) to them and use Dave Pilkey as another
example since he wrote the Dumb Bunny books uder the name Sue Denim (say
that fast and see if they get why he chose that name.)

===

name, just like all the other picture books.

The kids find them without a problem

===

I file them separately...I would appreciate a hit since maybe I am doing it
incorrectly?! :-)

===

We file them separately as that's the way they were when I started over 8
years ago.  It has to do with teaching the kids to look for a picture book
under the first letter of the author's last name.  However, I may rethink
that as I also agree with you on keeping all the books he did in one place.
Since I'm elementary, I've always maintained I can group things together in
violation of the author thing if it means students can find them easier.
For example, all the picture books that are Franklin the turtle are filed
together, even if it's a book adapted from the original author, and not
specifically written by her.

If you get a lot of replies, please post a hit.  Sometimes we need to
rethink how we're doing things.

===

Woodstock is a K-4 school.  I file all the books in a special Dr. Seuss
basket to make it simple for students to locate the books.

===

Right or wrong I decided to file them all under Seuss, even the one he wrote
as "Rosetta Stone."  I want the kids to be able to find all his books
easily.

===

I file them separately.  Obviously, Mr. Geisel intended for them to be
treated differently so I oblige.

===

We file all books under Seuss in their appropriate collection (easy reader
or picture book) at both the public library I work at as well as my school
library.

===

We do separate them in the computer and on the shelf.  But when I do
displays, I put them together.  For 1st and 2nd grade, I incorporate it into
a lesson on pen names and show them where they are located.

Hope this helps

===

I kept them as the author published them

Roseann Ogas

Library Clerk

Rancho Vista Elementary

Palmdale CA