Heck
I don't expect the filters to do everything for me
A teacher caught them today.

And those darlings are quick --
Long before the Internet -- kids tried to beat the
system -- whatever it was.

We used to have netwroked computers where kids could
take tests --

There were three of us in the media center.

As soon as a kid sta down at the computer - one of us
would go to the computer stations

Still it only took some kids 53 seconds to get into
the system and take the multiple choice quizzes --
these were g/t kids so they were really quick.

They logged in with someone's password --

They were charging .50 to go in and take tests for
other kids... (personally I would have charged more
LOL)

And since they had taken the tests so many times --
they could do it super quick.

Of course it started showing up on reports, etc. when
everyone and their brother started passing the same
tests

and the scam came to a screeching halt.

But kids will be kids -- and even if I took them by
the hand and sat with them all day individually --
they would still try to figure out how to beat the
system..

Kids trying to beat the system is nothing new with the
Internet.

Some of my favorite scams have been -

1. watching a sound filmstrip -- and all of a sudden
watching the kids start moving around --
You go over - and say -- gee that looks like a really
intersting filmstrip - let me listen
and what to my wondering ears should be there -- but a
cassette of popular music -- of course it was mine
till after school

2. pretending to be someone else

3. signing someone else's name to a library book card
(long before computers)

4. putting a different book behind a book they were
suupposed ot be reading

5. And my all - time favorite -- getting the bra ads
from magazines and just having a ball..

If anyone in education - expects the kids not to try
to beat the system with the Internet -- they are inthe
wrong job

And for those of you who are curious souls -
I spent 23 years of my career with junior high kids --
and for those of you who have worked with that crowd -
you have to be asa foolish as they are -- to survive
and have a sense of humor -- or they will drive you
nuts...\

Paula

--- Nancy Willard <nwillard@CSRIU.ORG> wrote:

> From the Powerpoint I have under development on
> Effective Internet Use
> Management:
>
> If your district is depending on the Internet filter
> to prevent students
> from intentionally misusing the Internet Š
> This is a clear indication that your district is not
> adequately addressing
> the foundation for appropriate use
> High quality educational activities
> Effective supervision and monitoring
>
> Nancy
>
> > Date:    Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:22:43 -0500
> > From:    Lee Gordon <lgordon24@COX.NET>
> > Subject: Re: Website that lets kids access
> myspace, etc.
> >
> > There are MANY websites that give access to
> Myspace--or any other website that
> > may be filtered by your district filters.  Just
> google "bypass proxy" and see
> > what comes up.  As soon as we find one, our
> techies block it, but tomorrow
> > there is a new one.
> > --
> > ****************
> > Lee D. Gordon
> --
> Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
> Center for Safe and Responsible Internet Use
> http://csriu.org
> http://cyberbully.org
> http://cyber-safe-kids.com
> nwillard@csriu.org
>
> Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the
> Challenge of Online Social
> Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)
>
> Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young
> People Learn to Use the
> Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)

> Please note: All LM_NET postings are protected by
> copyright law.
>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting
> LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail
> address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)
> SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow
> for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select:
> http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214