Hi all,

Please take the time to read this. I just found out about a really excellent
piece of legislation. S 2344
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:1:./temp/~c110B3S5Ik::

Here is the operative language:

SEC. 2. GRANTS FOR INTERNET SAFETY EDUCATION PROGRAMS.

      (a) Establishment- Subject to the availability of the funds authorized
to be appropriated under this section, the Attorney General of the United
States shall create and administer a competitive grant program for eligible
organizations to carry out Internet safety education programs.

      (b) Eligible Organization- For purposes of this section, the Attorney
General shall by rule define the term eligible organization. The rulemaking
conducted under this subsection shall require that the term eligible
organization includes State organizations.

According to a press release from Senator Menendez
http://menendez.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=287404: Sen. Menendezıs
initiative would create a $10 million grant program for the Attorney General
to develop and administer.  Grants would be awarded on a competitive basis
to organizations that provide free education about internet safety to
children, parents, and teachers.

This bill is coming up late in the legislative session. There is another
bill that passed the House, HR 4134, that would provide money to the
organizations that create/provide Internet safety education - including $25
million to I-Safe, plus money for other organizations.

I really, really do not agree with the HR 4134 approach. Note I am an
organization that could financially benefit from HR 4134. But I do not want
to feed at the federal funding feeding trough. I think it is far better for
the funds to go the the institutions, especially schools and libraries, that
are providing the education and then you folks can select from the available
alternatives in a manner that will best serve your community. This is the
way these things should work.

S 2344 has just been introduced and currently has no co-sponsors. But it may
move pretty rapidly through the Senate Judiciary Committee. PLEASE call the
offices of your two senators and ask them to sign onto this bill as a
co-sponsor. Please also forward this message.

Thanks.

Nancy
--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)