Bob,

But that is what an OPAC is; a tool that was all the rage on our VAX-VMS
systems. The way that OPACs regurgitate machine readable records with no
awareness that there are actual humans on the other side of the screen is
rather dated. In fact, I would say that the horrific formatting that most
systems continue to force upon is the the very embodiment of why OPACs are
so incredibly NOT useful.

Think of all the time that could be saved that could be dedicated to
teaching information fluency, fostering a love of reading, working towards
library/information curricula and many other more worthy endeavors than
continuing to teach students how to interact with a closed environment
system that continues to pretend that it is 1965 and we are querying with
punch cards. We can do it. The technology is here. To argue that we have
learned to cope with the limitations of an OPAC and that we have already
taught our students how to operate within that crippled environment doesn't
help us move forward.

Christopher Harris - infomancy@gmail.com
Coordiantor, School Library System
Genesee Valley BOCES - Le Roy, NY
schoolof.info/infomancy | digitalreshift.org