From: mchawkins <caughey195@YAHOO.COM>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:05:30 PM
Subject: Re: Tar: Scholastic Book Fair's new "register" system

Am I the only one who thinks that libraries and
librarians should not be involved with commercial Book
Fairs at all? It may be all in the name of literacy
but libraries are completely different from book
stores.

Libraries *lend* books,  Libraries don't care how much
money a child has. Libraries rarely try to make a
profit and certainly not at the expense of children
who are getting free lunches.   Free and equitable
access is what I emphasize in the library, but for 2
weeks of the school year,  I am expected to turn
children away from books they can't afford towards
pencils and smelly erasers.

I am campaigning actively this year to have Home and
School in charge of book fairs and I'll die happy if
they even figure out how to have it outside of The
Library.

Am I tilting at windmills?

Meg Hawkins
Librarian
Darby Township School 1-8
Southeast Delco School District
Glenolden PA 19036

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.