I didn't ask in form of a target but since several people asked me to post
the answers.

My questions were about
the Literature, dewey numbers 808.008 808.009, then 808.08 and 808.09.
And the call number field in marc records 082 and 090.

I didn't include everyone who responded as many said essentially the same
thing.

The answers got me to editing call numbers in my whole 800 collection. I
could claim that the previous librarian had left them that way but I think
there is a statue of limitations on how long you can claim it was the
previous person's fault.

Anyway;
800s question -- I am not yet totally clear but I know that is should be one
or the other. As I understand it 08/008 is for collections, 09/009 for
historical. But some people say the most current Dewey has 008 while others
say it is 08. I did notice that I have 008 and 009s in all areas of the
800s.

The postings
The more recent subdivision of literature in general uses two zeroes before
the number, e.g. 008 and 009.The 008 subdivision is for collections of any
type, and the 009 is for history and criticism.

808 is for "Rhetoric and collections of literary texts from more than two
literatures" so don't use the 008 with that unless you have collection of
articles specifically about the "effective use of language." For collections
literary texts from more than two literatures use 808.8. For a collections
of poetry use 808.81, 808.82 would be a general collection of plays, etc.
The 008 is used to build numbers like 821.008 (for a collection of English
poetry) or 814.008 (for a collection of American essays).

    I am going to give this a try. I think the 808.008 is a collection of
literary texts while the 808.009 is a historical look at more than one form
of literary texts. From what I remember 808.08 and 808.09 are the new
numbers (edition 22/abridged 14) and --008 and --009 are the older numbers.
Looking at WebDewey and in the Abridged Dewey edition 14, the books are
probably on the same topic, but some of them have older numbers than the
rest.

http://www-lib.nearnorth.edu.on.ca/dewey/ddc.htm#300

 I went to this siteand scrolled down to the 800's.  There wasn't anything
useful in the immediate number of 808, but under several other numbers (811,
812, etc.) the .08 extension meant "collections" and the .09 extension was
used for "history and criticism".
The site also goes into Call numbers 082. 090, and 092.

OCLC has a Dewey Browse at http://deweyresearch.oclc.org/ddcbrowser/a14
When you drill down to 808 is says Rhetoric and collections of literary
texts from more than two literatures.

The 008 and 08 are "built" from Table 3B (I think) but I don't have a copy
of Dewey at home to check the exact meaning. I did find a mention on the
Dewey Blog http://ddc.typepad.com/025431/ddc_tip_of_the_week/index.html that
in 821 the 008 and 08 are really the same thing - the usage changed with DDC
17 (unabridged edition).

Call number question

050 Library of Congress Call Number (R)
055 Call Numbers/Class Numbers Assigned in Canada (R)
060 National Library of Medicine Call Number (R)
086 Government Document Classification Number (R)
090 Locally Assigned LC-type Call Number (R)
092 Locally Assigned Dewey Call Number (R)
096 Locally Assigned NLM-type Call Number (R)
098 Other Classification Schemes (R)
099 Local Free-Text Call Number (R)

In the MARC record 082 is the Dewey number assigned by the professional
cataloger, 050 is the LC number given by the professional cataloger. (BTW,
the "2" subfield tells you which edition of Dewey has been used to develop
the number). 090-092 are fields where local call numbers may show up.
Remember that Dewey numbers in the 082 field may have slashes in them which
indicate where the number can be cut (abridged). You wouldn't leave those
slashes in the call number for the item. And, of course, the complete call
number usually includes a Cutter to distinguish it from other items with the
same Dewey number

    The MARC question is a bit easier for me. MARC uses 082 for Dewey
numbers. The 092 is a local call number field for Dewey numbers and the 090
is a local call number field for Library of Congress Call numbers. Usually
in MARC if a tag has a "9" in it, it is a local tag that can be
used by any library for any information they want to use locally. I believe
that some circulation systems can only use the 092 and the 090 for their
call numbers (I know that we transfer the information for our customers).

A great reference for MARC tags and rules is the web site itsmarc.com tag
list, available at:  http://www.itsmarc.com/crs/Bib1468.htm#List_050_099 .
THis site identifies each tag, indicators, subfields and the rules that
govern the use of each of these MARC elements.  And its free!

Deborah Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden, Germany
deborah.stafford@t-online.de