Thank you all for your replies.  I tried to thank everyone individually, but if I
missed you I apologize.

Most people who responded said that they used a sign out sheet for the laptops
and/or computers.  Most suggestions were to number the laptops and have students
sign in next to the corresponding number.  A couple of people had the students
report any damage at that time.  Of course this doesn't mean that the students
should be left on their own at that point.  The teachers still need to watch their
classes closely.  The advantage to this sign out sheet is that it can be used if
the COW is mobile OR if it is stationary (as is the case in my library).  In all
cases abuse slowed down or even stopped.

There were also those who did barcode the laptops and checked them out to students
every time they were used.  While this does take a little more time, it is very
effective.  The librarian is able to see who used each laptop every period of the
day.  One librarian had the students check the laptop for damage at the time of
check out and check in with her assistance.

At this point we are still debated what will be done at our campus.  I am very
ready to barcode the laptops, but there is opposition from everyone for different
reasons.  One good thing that has come out of this is that teachers are willing to
be more responsible.  We had a staff meeting this morning regarding this problem,
but mentioned that we still didn't have a solution.  The teacher who brought his
class in today came with a seating chart and knew where the students were sitting.
Maybe if they all choose to do that we won't have anymore problems.  I really
should have more faith in my staff.

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions and advice!

Suzanne

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read
them."
-- Mark Twain

Suzanne Dorn - Librarian
Worland Middle School - Worland, Wy