The pencils that I loan out in classes sit in a large vase on my
desk, attached to large silk flowers.  It completely ended the excuse
that, "I forgot to return your pencil,"  and adds a touch of color to
the room.

On the other hand, for use at the OPAC, why not put the
responsibility back on the students and stop providing pencils at
all?  Are they surprised that they are needed?  Did they not know
they were coming to the library?  In my library, I am constantly
finding abandoned pens and pencils that go into the "Abandoned
Pencils Cup" no matter how chewed up and nasty, eraser or not.
Anyone is welcome to use one of them and when I get complaints, I
just tell them that their own pencils are not nasty, so they should
bring their own.  In theory, these should be returned after use, but
sometimes a child who has no pencil (economic reasons, not just
forgetfulness) has come to get one and I don't make an issue when he/
she doesn't return it--I just look at it as helping a child preserve
their pride.

Gail Smith, NBCT
Librarian & Tech Facilitator
Edison Regional Gifted Center - Chicago, Illinois
gsmith@edison.cps.k12.il.us
"In the nonstop tsunami of global information librarians provide us with
floaties and teach us to swim."--Linton Weeks, Washington Post,
January 13, 2001