I see many students each day without pencils. I work in an area that has
an unemployment rate over 50%. Having a pencil is a battle I choose not
to fight. I order a bunch through the school at the end of each year
then take them home and my husband cuts them in half with his band saw.
It will cut a whole pack in seconds. Cheap and easy way to get twice for
the money. I hand out the end without the erasers first. Now other
teachers in our school and at the elementary often bring pencils to my
husband to cut in half as well.

Jennifer B. Brown
Librarian
Navajo Middle School
Navajo, NM 87328
505-721-5305
jbrown@gmcs.k12.nm.us

Radical Militant Librarian

>>> "Knapp, Maggie" <knappm@TRINITYVALLEYSCHOOL.ORG> 10/2/2007 12:28 PM

I find a box of the golf pencils (available at our local Staples and
probably most office supply stores) will last the whole year for our 600
students.  The box is about $6.50 for 144 pencils.  We keep 1 or 2 by
each OPAC, and while they do occasionally disappear, it isn't a big
problem.

Ms. Maggie Knapp
Middle School/Upper School Library
Trinity Valley School