My brother teaches English at Mesa State University in Grand Junction, CO.  He
once told me that when talking about World War II for one of his classes, he was
getting a number of blank stares.  One of the problems was that most of the class
thought that the Russians had been the enemy.

              I was just reading the Newsweek article (Sept. 24th issue) about the
Ken Burns’ documentary.  According to this quote, this lack of knowledge was one of
his motivating factors in producing the 14+ hour documentary: “The thing that
really got me mad was finding out that a huge number of our high school graduates
think that we fought with the Germans against the Russians in the second world war.
 It’s so unbelievable.”

  Ed Nizalowski, SMS
  Newark Valley High School
  Newark Valley, NY
  enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org

  “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find
out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and
that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and
irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.”

  John Muir