I'm packing my bags and my books for Reno. I'll be doing a very fun 1/2 day
preconference on what's new in children's books, K-6 on Wednesday
afternoon from 1-ish to 4-ish. (You could look it up at www.ala.org/aasl.)
Can't wait! If any of you LM_NET folks are going to be at my workshop,
please come up and say hi.

Then I'll be signing my books (Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3 and,
I hope, the brand brand brand new one, Once Upon a Time)
on Friday at 8:30 a.m. at the Libraries Unlimited booth.
Now, if you've ever been to a book signing
for a professional book author, you'll know it's like being the Maytag
Repairman--it's a bit, well, lonely. Everyone's at the other booths
getting autographs from the famous children's book authors,
and you're sitting there, twiddling thumbs, smiling, waiting for
someone to drift by on their way and say hi.

I'm assuming a bunch of us Professional Book-writing folks will be
signing, like Sharron McElmeel, Kathleen Baxter, and Toni Buzzeo.
(Well, Toni's just come out with her second Mrs. Skorupski book,
Fire Up with Reading, which I just got and which is even cuter than
the first one, maybe. I thought it was adorable, and will be just
the ticket in every school library. So she'll be selling gobs of them
at the Upstart booth, I'll bet.) If you see any of us sitting there, looking
little glazed, please come over and schmooze. Nah, you don't have
to buy anything. Unless you want to, of course. You'll even get a discount.
(No one ever got rich writing professional books. OK, maybe Jim Trelease.)

Here's another request. Those of you who have used the fabulous
props and puppets from Mimi's Motifs (www.mimismotifs.com),
you'll be excited to hear that Mimi will have a little table at AASL.
This is the first time she's gone to a big library conference,
and she's nervous that no one will come to see her.

She says, "I am at TABLE 9 which is located at the BACK of the
convention center. The table is close to the author book signing booth.
I will be exhibiting the following: Melvil Dewey Hand Puppet/Category Set,
Epossumondas, monster sandwich, standard pigeon, badger,
and a few other props."

I told her she should bring her world's best Story Apron (in my
opinion, it's something no storyteller or librarian can be without),
which I hope she'll do. If not, you can see it on her site.

Anyway, she's paying lots of $$ for her little table, and since her
little business is just a 2-woman show (Mimi sells the props,
and her amazing seamstress, Doreen, makes them all by hand),
I hope you can stop by and at least say hi to her and look at her
gorgeous Melvil Dewey doll. I think her stuff is just wonderful,
and very reasonably priced, especially when you see the
work that's gone into it. I've amassed quite a prodigious collection.
You know the way Carrie collects Manolo Blahnik shoes on Sex & the City?
Some people buy shoes; we librarians buy puppets. What can I say?

See you in Reno!

Judy

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
"Wild About Books" columnist
School Library Media Activities Monthly
Author of the all new Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
and the brand new Once Upon a Time!:
Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and
Reader's Theater with Children in Grades K-6 (2007)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com
www.JudyReadsBooks.com