Well, I might have more questions than answers, but I got some useful information.?
Further insights would be welcomed.?? My original question is here, followed by the

Elizabeth Savage Kamke wrote:?

Greetings.??

We've had the little televisions that came with our Channel One programming for the
last twenty years or so.??

Recently, at another school that I was visiting, I noticed that all of their
classrooms had great big tvs wall-mounted, with a dvd/vhs player beneath them.? >?

Although I thought I saw this concept recently discussed on the LM_NET, I didn't
come across much in the archives.? >?

We are about to start again our own morning video announcements, and I would love
to upgrade the classroom televisions, but at this point in time, I'm not remotely
sure of what to even suggest that we buy.?

So, I am asking you all, the collective brain, for recommendations that you might
have, or suggestions based on what you have done.? What makes sense??

?

Yes, larger screen tv sets are easier to see. They are also heavier, so you will
need to get mounts for them.?

?

>It would be a big investment, but we're just at this time rethinking the
>technology in the building, taking a good look at everything.? Now would be the
>time to make a case.?

Some things to think about:?

1. Channel One sets have special circuitry built into them so they turn on when you
start Channel One. If you replace their sets with your own you won't have that
feature, so someone will have to announce that it is time to turn on the sets for
Channel One.??

2. You _may_ run into a connection issue. Since Channel One sets only accept 75 ohm
coax, which was and is the standard for tv antennas. Unless you buy a more
expensive combo unit (dvd player/vcr) it won't have a tuner built in, so it won't
have a coax connection. The tv will have a tuner, but it may or may not let you
easily switch between the coax connection from Channel One and the RCA (a-v)
connections from the combo.?

>For all the money that Channel One must make (I suppose that would be a whole area
>of research), I would think it would be worth their while to have a screen that
>kids could see from the back of the room!?
?

Channel One is in the process of switching to digital. Changing all the headends is
expensive enough, without changing all the tv sets, too. One of their techs told
me, and I've observed it myself, that those old gray sets just keep working. The
newer sets, used with the monitoring system, are much less reliable. We have five
of the new sets, and 20 of the old. Three of the new sets have been replaced (one
within the first year). This is my 10th year here, and we've replaced only two of
the old sets. In both cases the on-off switch failed.?

?+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

?

Please let me know what responses you get.? We are in

a building project and need to decide some of these

issues also.

?

A Channel One tech was at my school this week replacing the ancient head-end unit
with the DVR. I asked the question why go digital when we still have the small,
outdated tvs? His reply- he's not looking forward to next year because his back
will be killing him. He said Channel One will be furnishing new, 27" wall-mounted
tvs to schools. Granted, this was his info and not "official..."

My school district would never cough up the money for new tvs- especially in my
school. So I'm hoping that this will actually happen. Not really a suggestion or
solution for you, but perhaps if you

can wait another year, you may not have to buy anything...

?

Channel One is not providing those nice wall-mounted sets.? In fact, they are
divesting themselves of the equipment they have in the schools...especially those
that are on fringe areas of their technical service dept.? Ours is one such
school.? They sent me the keys to the head unit and a letter stating that all
equipment now belonged to the school to do with as it saw fit and that Channel One
would no longer maintain it.

?

They are going 100% digital and the feed will, as I understand it, come through
computer internet access to be played on the school's own equipment.? We have a few
teachers who are using it with AverKey connections to their 32" t.v.'s (traditional
sets on rolling carts).

?

Quoting directly from the letter they sent us:? Channelone.com has been upgraded to
ensure watching Channel One News online will be a higher quality viewing experience
for teachers and teens....Channel One News...begins a new broadcast season on
September 4, 2007 and will be available for online viewing at ChannelOne.com.? We
will continue to transmit Channel One News and Channel One Connection programming
via satellite throughout 2007.? This is being done in case any schools need time to
adjust to these changes in our services.

This sounds to me like it will all be all digital-delivery after 2007 ends in Dec.

?

?

?Elizabeth Kamke?? Librarian? St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute? 845 Kenmore
Avenue? Buffalo, NY? 14223
eksk476@aol.com

http://mail.aol.com