 There is an article at http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/Books/article/269817
which has many
excerpts from an interview with J.K. Rowling's interview in which she explains
Dumbledore'
character.

Parts of the article by Phillip Marchand read, "Rowling, here for the International
Festival of
Authors, was asked why she chose to announce last week that Dumbledore was gay -
and that he had a
mad, ill-fated, boyhood passion for his fellow wizard Gellert Grindelwald - instead
of making it
explicit in her series of Harry Potter novels.

"Because I really think that's self-evident," the 42-year-old British author
replied. According to
Rowling, the subsequent conflict between the two wizards laid the foundation for
the final showdown
of the series. "The plot is what it is and (Dumbledore) did have, as I say, this
rather tragic
infatuation," said Rowling.

"That was a key part of the ending of the story. So there it is. Why put the key
part of the ending
of my story in book one? If you're an author you might understand that when you
write the ending, it
comes at the end." ... "Asked about the "political ramifications" of her Dumbledore
announcement,
Rowling replied, "It certainly wouldn't be news to me that a brave and brilliant
man could love
another man ..." She also said the notion of Dumbledore as gay came to her "very
early on" in the
course of writing her novels, "probably before the first book was published."

I don't know what the credibility of either the newspaper or the writer is but one
would assume they
would hardly publish such direct quotes if there were a possibility of litigation.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
PALMERSTON ACT 2913