Hi, Peter and all LM_NETters.
Great idea, Peter.
The most interesting thing I did this summer was attend the IASL Conference
in Taipei. The Conference was held at the National Taiwan Normal University
right in the heart of Taipei. The keynoters (Jay Jordan, President of OCLC;
Ken Haycock, Director of the library school at San Jose State Univ.; and
Professor Mei-Mei Wu from NTNU's Graduate Institute of Library and
Information Studies) were excellent, challenging speakers. The conference
sessions were well-presented and it was very interesting to hear what folks
in Taiwan and Hong Kong as well as other parts of the world are doing in
their school libraries and college classrooms.
I think the most enjoyable part of the conference, aside from renewing old
acquaintances and making new friends, was the visit to two high schools. You
can read more about the visits and see pictures at my blog Bessie Chin
Library Leaves <http://libraryleaves.blogspot.com>. Both libraries are huge
by American standards, one being 32,000 square feet and taking up six
floors! Three staff members, a librarian, a tech person and a clerical
person, were enough to keep this huge library going. The two schools I
visited were among the best in the country, relatively new and quite large
(5,000 and 2,000 students respectively in grades 10-12). Both schools
provided wonderful hospitality, with goody-bags of locally-made
items/souvenirs. One of the schools had several demonstrations going on
including calligraphy, poetry reading, painting, and Chinese music, all
presented or performed by teachers at the school. I only wish we'd had more
time and I could speak/understand Mandarin to talk further with the folks
who run the libraries!
BTW, next summer the IASL Conference is going to be held right here in San
Jose, Calif. at San Jose State University. Make plans now to be there the
first week of August. It's been quite a while since the conference came to
the U.S. and I'm looking forward to meeting many of you there. The co-chairs
of the conference are Blanche Wools and Ken Haycock.
Tom Kaun

On 9/1/07, Peter Milbury <pmilbury@iis.syr.edu> wrote:

> Dear LM_NET Colleagues,
>
> Now that most of us are back online after the summer break, I would like
> to hear from those who might feel like sharing the most interesting thing
> (education related) that you did this summer. I will start by sharing.
>
> In June, just after school ended, I taught a four half-day PowerPoint
> workshop for a regional technology conference (CTAP). What was especially
> interesting was that I used some tips from LM_NET members regarding useful
> things to do with PowerPoint. Also, I taught with PPT 2003 for the first
> time, because our school had only supported Office 2000, but the workshop
> required PPT 2003. It was interesting to learn some of the new ways of
> doing things woth this newer version. It is definitely more powerful, but
> also has some differences in how elements are added to the slides. The
> work done by the participants was quite impressive, and ranged over all
> grade levels and subject areas.
>
> Would you like to share something that you felt was worthwhile you did
> this summer? If so, please use the same subject description, GEN: Most
> Interesting Thing This Summer.
>
> Best wishes,
> Peter Milbury, LM_NET Co-Moderator   pmilbury@iis.syr.edu
> Library Media Teacher/CA TeleMentor, Chico, CA
> LM_NET: The Voice of the Library Media Community Since 1992
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce-LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
> LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/