Thank you to all who responded with suggestions. I have tried to summarize what I
learned-- had over 50 replies!  It is understood that these are intended for use in
the case of  habitual late comers. We all know that once in a while a teacher might
get held up.

1. Send the class into the hall to wait, or ask the incoming teacher to take them
back. It might get the message across (peer pressure). In one school this is
actually part of the plan. The incoming teacher takes the previous class back to
their classroom.

2. It was suggested that all activity teachers handle the situation the exact same
way.

3. One school purchased  atomic clocks and placed them in strategic places. That
way everyone is on the same time.

4. Post the schedules.

5. Enlist the support of principals, assist. principals, etc.   and maybe get them
to deliver the class.

6. End the class a few  minutes early and deliver them to their room yourself. This
serves the purpose of showing the teacher that you have respect for her
instructional time.

7. Document date & teacher - present  it to principal for his/her help.

8. Call the office to remind the teacher. (Some schools have phones in classrooms)
One librarian gave a timer to the teacher which did not offend the teacher at all.
She was glad to have it and returned the timer when she picked up her class.

9. One school designs 15 min. into the schedule between classes and the activity
teacher takes the class back to the room.

10. Send the class back unescorted. It is the teacher's responsibility to take care
of them after their activity time.

11. Speak directly with the teacher. Maybe there is a simple reason she is late and
you can help alleviate the problem.

12. Put the problem in perspective. Is worth the fuss in the scheme of things.
Practice "give and take".  (This one hit home with me).

 I think the teachers may already feel like we have an easier job than they do and
it will not hurt our cause to be as helpful and forgiving as we can possibly  be.
Many feel it shows a lack of respect, which it does, but it is probably not
personal.  Something my mother might have told me - "When you worry about what
people are thinking of you, you might be surprised to learn they aren't thinking of
you at all".

Here's to a good year for us all, I  love this listserve!!

Gail Wood, Librarian
East Side Elementary
Magnolia, AR
gwood1820@suddenlink.net