Thanks to everyone for all of the fantastic library newsletter content and title
ideas.  In addition to the numerous sample newsletters, I received the suggestions
listed below.

Lisa Lopez-Carickhoff, Librarian
Fern Hill Elem. School
West Chester, PA
lopezcarickhoff@verizon.net

Newsletter Content Ideas:

-I do put in a lot of encouragement to parents to encourage their students to read
more and with them. I also do student book reviews throughout the year and often
put in a little research or trivia question that they have to come into the library
to answer.

-You may want to involve your local public library for a variety of reasons:
1) They want to support your students, teachers and families...so you may want to
share w/ families, information about what is going on at the local library:  author
visits, books clubs, programs and notably...
2) Summer Reading Club.  If your students are reading over the summer, their
literacy skills will remain strong and/or grow.
Public libraries put so much work & money into providing good summer programs.
They'd love your support & collaboration.
3) POWER Library - another good place for school and public libraries to
collaborate as too few families, citizens and often teachers know anything about
it.  I've been to so many Back To School nights and talk w/ parents who have never
heard of it.  AND kids have to have public lib. cards to use it from home!
4) We started an enewsletter for teachers.  On our website you can find our
Enewsletters.  At  www.dcls.org, then click on the Parent - Teacher page (left
column of front page), scroll down a bit.
Also on that page, you'll find a Power Point about Summer Reading Club (up only
till Aug. 31st).  Many of our school librarians used that with their classes.
As a result, we've had a strong turnout for summer reading....and that's the power
of school librarians!!!!!!!!   If there is anything there you'd like to use in
your newsletters, feel free.   Susan Pannebaker of Commonwealth Libraries gave me
some great advice, in fact my mission statement, "make teachers lives
easier."

-Video booktalks for kids: Bookwink.com

Title Ideas:

-I recommend a phrase related to your school's mission or this year'sinstructional
initiatives PLUS @your library!

-The Latest from the Library