From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Hunter, Velda J
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 12:49 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] HIT: Activities for Flotsam, Part 2

Velda Hunter
Jack Yates High School
vhunter1@houstonisd.org

Activities for Flotsam: PART II

1.  When the book won the Caldecott there was a great video news story on
CNN.com about the cargo ship that dumped a huge number of storage containers
into the sea. (I think the video clips can still be seen on their website.)
Some of the containers had broken open and spilled out furniture, shampoo
bottles, motorcycles, and many other things. Many of these things washed up
on the nearby southeast coast of England and people were taking whatever
they could get their hands on.  The authorities explained that it didn't
mean these things were "up for grabs". I had a fun discussion with the kids
in my classes about what they would do in this situation.

(In the panel of the book with the octopuses it shows them sitting on living
room furniture with a crushed and open container in the background.)

Just in the last couple days there was a (life preserver?) "ring" presumed
to be from the Edmond Fitzgerald that was found on the shore in Michigan.

A couple years ago I did some special lessons tied to
"treasure"...especially shipwrecks like the Atocha off the Florida Keys.
There is soooo much valuable "flotsam" that continues to wash up on the
beaches. (Kids (of all ages) are fascinated by treasure.) :-)

2.  High School: Here is something that I plan on doing with our Journalism
1 class.  Have groups of students (3 or 4 per group) choose a photograph
from the book and then write or use the subscription databases to locate a
newspaper article that would correspond with that the period of history
depicted.  A writing class could make up a story  or a joint
history/language arts assignment could be to create a historical fiction
piece.  Wouldn't some of the activities taking place underwater be great for
inspiration for a fantasy writing class or even a fantasy writing contest?